Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Excel

Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1994 Hyundai Excel Coupe

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
good idea.

i love how you have a bouncing Jesus on the dash lol! and the interior shot on the country road is insane. it must feel great blasting through those gears like a space shuttle.
Oh might have seen the bouncin Jesus on my other vids lol that was an 4G63 swapped AWD Colt lol thing's fast
Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Update on the Excel. So I've had my fun with the Excel being front wheel drive and the AWD conversion is in progress. I will be transplanting the 1G DSM rear end suspension brakes and all. The front is alread cnverte 5 lug with the DSM spindles.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

COOL!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Awwww shiet. Is there room for an entire DSM subframe under the back of an X2? The trailing arm setup is fairly compact.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM

With the removal of the gas tank and some careful measuring, fitting a rear differential sub-frame set up from an AWD DSM is much like a Colt/Summit/Mirage AWD conversion. The only difference is the wheel base is shorter on the Excel, so some modification of the rear struts is required. Any local domestic drive-shaft shop can shorten up the shaft also so make up for a shorter car. I'd also have to modify the front engine cross member for the transfercase.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Here the 2013 update so far, and yes I know it looks like a completely different car. This was $10 of 98cent cans of flat black paint cans from Walmart, and some fun digital camouflage stencils plus the cost of the camouflage spray cans. Did my whole car under $40, and I'm more then happy with the mean looking outcome. Also managed to find the very hard to find rear spoiler, woohoo!

I removed the soft aftermarket Intrax lowering springs in the rear and replaced with thinner OEM civic springs which gave me a wicked stiff and raised back end. The rear rims are 4x4.5 lug Cragars, and the front rims are 5x4.5 lug custom 15x8 rims with a 3" backspacing. My street wheels will be a simple thinner profile with a 3.5" backspace, still waiting for em in the mail.

Stiffened up the flimsy rear body bend with some custom braces utilizing the 17mm seat belt bolt holes that were removed, this made it removable. Made a big difference where as before my doors couldn't shut properly when jacked up on one side.

The dual side mount intercoolers had to go, they took up too much bay space. Fabbed up some mounts to support the cleaner front mount set up.

Here is the front 1G DSM 5lug/brake conversion with extended studs.

Replaced the faded Hyundai seats with my old 2001 Mirage seats. Front bolts lined up perfectly, rear tabs were pretty easy to weld up.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I like where you're headed here, all except the rear strap angle for the belts. Unless those are some VERY special seats, a bad crash may lead to spinal compression.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:17 AM

I through the seat belts on there more for looks for the picture. There are not bolted in whatsoever, I need to put a seat belt brace to properly install a harness. I'm leaving that up to the guy I'm having do my cage since he's certified in all that NHRA mumbo jumbo that can give me a set up to pass inspection. Seems like over kill but this shell wont die until it splits in two, so might as well go all out.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

That's an insane build. Love it!