Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Converting a 1.6 or 1.8 to a 2.0 Beta

Old 05-19-2002, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Honda VFR1200

Gear ratio:

differential ratio:
1.6 = 4.056
1.8 = 3.842
2.0 = 3.650

tib and elantra have same differential ratio (related to displacement)

Taken from above numbers wouldn't it be better to change the Differential to the 1.6 in a 2.0 has it been done ???? In a V8 you change the rear differential to change cruising speed... yes could take away from top speed but how often do you get to do 120 i would rather have the take off power?? anyone ????
Old 05-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It would also hurt fuel economy, and probably throw off your speedo. But it would be a kick in the pants when you hit the gas pedal.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Mazda miata MX-5 SE 1.8L
Default Help

Originally Posted by Red
1.6L has it's own block, own pistons, but uses the 1.8L crank, rods and cams. It's very likely that it has it's very own ECU.

1.8L shares it's crank, cams and rods with the 1.6L, shares it's block and pistons with the 2.0L and has it's own rods and ECU.

2.0L has it's own crank, cams and rods but shares it's block with the 1.8L. The ECU is also different.

All the BETA engines (so far as we can tell) share the exact same valvetrain assemblies, cylinder heads, manifolding and injectors. There *may* be a possibility of some odd changes to the 1.6L because of the smaller displacement, such as smaller ports on the head, smaller throttle body or smaller injectors.

A 1.6L block is (for the most part) un-upgradeable except for punching out the block and having specialty pistons made.

Theoretically, you can take a standard 1.8L engine and "upgrade" to a 2.0L by replacing the crank, rods and ECU. There should be no other quams...

I would be interested to see someone use a 2.0L crank and rods in a 1.6L block... It should fit, but would end up with a long-stroke small-bore 1.7L engine. It would be VERY torquey for a small engine but would likely respond VERY well to huge port openings in the head. Might be a good funky-fied racer...

Never had thought of that until now...

-Red-

So i should be ok if I order a 2.0L head for my 2002 miata mx-5 SE edition 1.8L ?? I can't find a 1.8L head anywhere
Old 07-06-2022, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent GSI
Default 2.0 BETA crank GOING INTO MY 1.6

Originally Posted by Red
1.6L has it's own block, own pistons, but uses the 1.8L crank, rods and cams. It's very likely that it has it's very own ECU.

1.8L shares it's crank, cams and rods with the 1.6L, shares it's block and pistons with the 2.0L and has it's own rods and ECU.

2.0L has it's own crank, cams and rods but shares it's block with the 1.8L. The ECU is also different.

All the BETA engines (so far as we can tell) share the exact same valvetrain assemblies, cylinder heads, manifolding and injectors. There *may* be a possibility of some odd changes to the 1.6L because of the smaller displacement, such as smaller ports on the head, smaller throttle body or smaller injectors.

A 1.6L block is (for the most part) un-upgradeable except for punching out the block and having specialty pistons made.

Theoretically, you can take a standard 1.8L engine and "upgrade" to a 2.0L by replacing the crank, rods and ECU. There should be no other quams...

I would be interested to see someone use a 2.0L crank and rods in a 1.6L block... It should fit, but would end up with a long-stroke small-bore 1.7L engine. It would be VERY torquey for a small engine but would likely respond VERY well to huge port openings in the head. Might be a good funky-fied racer...

Never had thought of that until now...

-Red-
Awesome thought I'll put that idea into motion!!!!! GREAT IDEA THANKS FOR THAT
Old 10-03-2023, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Coupe RD2

Hello my friend. I know that this is an old topic and I am pretty late to this, but I just have a question to make sure before I go out and try to buy headers.
I have a 2001 RD2 Hyundai Tiburon with the beta G4ED engine, 1.6L. Which headers could I fit on here because there is no headers made exactly for this car. Thanks for any answer. Maybe if you know where I could buy headers and ship them to Serbia I would be even more thankful.

All the best.