Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Converting a 1.6 or 1.8 to a 2.0 Beta

Old 01-31-2002, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a 1.6 or 1.8 to a 2.0 Beta

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
Where are the differences in the internals? Is it just the crankshaft and con rods? Are the pistons the same? If I changed those parts, would I have to change the ECU too? Cams?
TIA
Old 01-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Red

1.6L has it's own block, own pistons, but uses the 1.8L crank, rods and cams. It's very likely that it has it's very own ECU.

1.8L shares it's crank, cams and rods with the 1.6L, shares it's block and pistons with the 2.0L and has it's own rods and ECU.

2.0L has it's own crank, cams and rods but shares it's block with the 1.8L. The ECU is also different.

All the BETA engines (so far as we can tell) share the exact same valvetrain assemblies, cylinder heads, manifolding and injectors. There *may* be a possibility of some odd changes to the 1.6L because of the smaller displacement, such as smaller ports on the head, smaller throttle body or smaller injectors.

A 1.6L block is (for the most part) un-upgradeable except for punching out the block and having specialty pistons made.

Theoretically, you can take a standard 1.8L engine and "upgrade" to a 2.0L by replacing the crank, rods and ECU. There should be no other quams...

I would be interested to see someone use a 2.0L crank and rods in a 1.6L block... It should fit, but would end up with a long-stroke small-bore 1.7L engine. It would be VERY torquey for a small engine but would likely respond VERY well to huge port openings in the head. Might be a good funky-fied racer...

Never had thought of that until now...

-Red-
Old 01-31-2002, 09:26 AM

Thanks Red, this is just what I was looking for. Do you have any numbers for bore and stroke for the three Beta options?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:30 AM
Red

Yeah I've got 'em somewhere, the 2.0L of the top of my head is 81.5mm (bore) x 93mm (stroke), which makes the 1.8L 81.5mm (bore) x like 83mm stroke or something like that.

I'll see if I can dig those up real fast...

-Red-
Old 01-31-2002, 09:56 AM
Red

Bah, gotta go home. If Random or someone else hasn't found them by tomorrow, I'll post 'em then. Like I have anything else better to do at work

-Red-
Old 01-31-2002, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, right and wrong...

The 1.6L ECU is the same with the 2L...
It has a little less "avance" in the EPROM timing...You can change the EPROM with a programmable one and write down the MAP of the 2.0L...Have done it, works fine!

The cylinder-head of the 1.6L is exactly the same with the 2.0L...The ports have the same size and everything is the same...

The 1.6L can be bored with ease at 1.8L and use new pistons for turbo or NA apliccations..We do it all the time here in Greece because all Tibs here are 1600cc...The 2.0L doesn't come to my country because you have to pay much-much money since the taxes are cc dependent...
Old 01-31-2002, 08:17 PM

Tasos, do you think the headers for a Tiburon would fit the 1.6? I have no way of testing this because we have no 1.6 betas in Korea... All the new Accents only have the 1.5.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:50 PM

Boogyman : Yes my friend! They do fit! Before I myself upgraded to the 2.0L BETA I owned a 1.6L BETA...I installed to it the headers for a 2.0L custom fabricatet at an exaust-shop in Greece. When I upgraded to a 2.0L the headers were a direct bolt on. Also the factory exhaust system of a 1.6L BETA is exactly the same as the 2.0L BETA. The intake manifold is the same and so is the cylinder-head even the throttle-body is the same!So if you have a 1.6L BETA engine you can bolt on the headers of a 2.0L....

BUT!!! Other issues apply!The headers have to be designed Accordingly to the volume of the engine!!!!! So if u use a 2.0L system for a 1.6L system, the gains will not be maximum!! It will be a straight bolt on, but not optimal! It will be muuuuuch better than stock exaust (I have tested it)...but you will not get the maximum out of it!

Hope I helped...
The following users liked this post:
stefan2103 (10-03-2023)
Old 01-31-2002, 09:56 PM

Boogyman : By the way...do you know how can I buy with mail indiglos with KM/H for my car (2000 Tiburon)?? Do you have them in Korea? I would like to know what else could I buy from your country for my Tib...Please help me, cause there is not much aftermarket support for my car in Greece...

I would appreciate any info I can get...
Thanx man,in advance!

-Tasos-
Old 02-01-2002, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

red: a torquey 1.7? count me in! the more torque to kick civic butt the better! ya think it will work? i have a 1.6!

tasos salis: gee thanks for the info!

boogyman: no 1.6 betas in Korea? and i thought my elantra is korean-spec.