Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Beta swap and continued maintence

Old 06-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 hyundai Accent
Default Beta swap and continued maintence

I've got a question regarding timing/accessory belt changes and routine maintenance on the beta swap motors on either the X3 or LC, and even the newest models if swaps happen in those too. Is it even possible to do a timing belt swap or serpentine belt change after the motor is installed or do you have to remove the motor to do this? I've seen threads over the years on various sites and some say yes, some say no. I'm interested to know now because that seems somewhat self defeating having to take the motor out to swap belts.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

i think its a case-by-case sich-ee-ay-shun. i will have to pull the engine to do belts because i only changed one engine mount. however, others who rework their mounts and use different length axles end up with room enough to change belts. i think X3s have a bit more room in the bay than LCs though.

if you change all the belts when you have the new engine out of the car, that gives you another 3-5 years before you have to pull it again to change the belts. plus if you are going to the effort of doing an engine swap i don't doubt you would be pulling the engine anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

mine will need to be pulled to swap belts but that's only ever few years so i'm not worried, undo 3 motor mounts and just crank it out at an angle, not even a full removal and swap belts. if you can swap the engine, it won't be a big deal to pull it to do belts.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I have just enough room with my altered mounts to squeeze belts on an off. As far as the timing belt goes i dont think i could do it in the car but i havnt had to try yet so im not sure.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 97 hyundai Accent

Ok, if it's as simple as undoing the motor mounts and yankin the motor out at an angle, I'm ok with that. Early AM job to be sure but not as bad as taking everything out.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

the water pump is the least thing i'm looking forward to replacing, there's barely any space for the water pump pulley bolt to come off, so it might involve un-mounting the mounts and either lift or lower,