Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Atoz Beta Swap???

Old 06-15-2002, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default Atoz Beta Swap???

Ever heard of the Atoz? The very small Hyundai w/ the wee 1.0 motor? I was thinking, with such a light chassis, a Turbo Beta engine would make it zoom. I know it wouldn't be bolt on but has anyone come up w/ a crazy 2.0 turbo Atoz?

Cheuk, Random, Red?
Old 06-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you could get a beta engine to fit in the Atoz...and if you could then strap a turbo to it, it would indeed be a little rocket ship.

However, I think it would be a fairly major task shoehorning the beta engine and tranny into the tiny Atoz engine bay.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Dude it CAN work, but there's very little room in the Atos' engine bay. It would mean the relocation of the battery and other components, such as air intake and most propably the P/S, radiator, and wiper washer reserviors.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:34 PM

No I don't believe it is possible without moving the firewall back about a foot. The engine bay is tiny.

The Atoz does come in a turbocharge 800cc version. One of the guys at Champion has one. Stock 43-45 Wheel hp... They have been using it as a test bed and now it makes around 70 wheel hp.

Higher boost, open exhaust, Haltech E6K. Now it can move out of its own way.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:54 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Now it can move out of its own way</div>lol... good one.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Umm... Time for MR. Atoz! smile.gif

Darn, you guys in Korea should make such a project.

Do the math:
Accent + 600hp Beta = FAST!!!
Atoz + 600hp Beta = OMG GET OUT OF THE WAY FAST!!!!

Old 06-17-2002, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Aight man I had the chance to take a look in the Atos' engine bay with the engine out today. let's just say that Cheuk's assessment about the firewall having to be moved is pretty accurate. However, this will also present some other complications, such as the crossmember having to be modified to accept the new engine mountings, or a new crossmember having to be produced. The issue of the power steering rack and lines will also have to be addressed. As far as the transmission is concerned, it also appears that driveshafts will have to be custom-fabricated to compensate for the reduced gearbox-to-knuckle distance. As the Swap will be to Beta engine, I gotta assume that performance is the objective. The stock clearance of the exhaust extractor to the radiator and A/C fan is already close, if a performance extractor is to be installed, it will bring these tolerances even closer, and you know what happens when hot metal comes into contact with plastic. The radiator hoses will have to be fabricated. Another problem will be the fitment of a radiator that has the heat exchange area sufficient to cater to the Beta's cooling needs.

Uhhh guys, are you REALLY sure you anna go into this any further??? It's gonna be one hell of a biaaaaaaatch when it comes time to change the water pump and timing belt.