Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

alpha tranny/beta engine versus beta tranny/beta engine

Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default alpha tranny/beta engine versus beta tranny/beta engine

I was wondering if 2 accents both have a beta swap, but one has the alpha tranny and the other has a beta tranny, which one is actually quicker? Another words, which tranny has a better gear ratio for high speed?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Quicker or faster?

The Accent transmissions vary widely in gear ratios. I am not sure about the Beta transmissions off the top of my head. Most Alpha transmissions will be lower geared than most Beta transmissions though.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

^- what he said.. alot of combos out there even with the two engines. Elantra = longer gear, tibs = short, tucson = really short.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'd be prepared to bet you one gentleman that the alpha trans is lighter. The frictional losses would probably be lower due to everything being smaller. Idk the ratios off the top of my head, but I believe the X3 has a lower final drive than that of the J2/3 and RD/2.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

It really isn't that much smaller. I can't say to much about weight because when I was able to handle both at the same time the alpha trans had thrown up a large amount of bearings and portions of the input shaft.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I'd be prepared to bet you one gentleman that the alpha trans is lighter.
I see your gentleman, and raise you a woman of ill repute.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 AM

That is the first time anybody has ever recognised that joke, instead of assuming I like it up the bum.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I did a side by side comparison of the Alpha trans and Beta trans (both the 02 model) when I did my beta swap. The beta trans was from an Elantra. They are nearly identical in size and mounting locations for the mount brackets are the same with the beta trans having 4 bolts rather then two on the front bracket of the alpha. The only size differance I could find was at the differential were the axle's pop into the trans. 1/4 of an inch wider on each side for a total of 1/2 inch. as far as weight goea I didnt have a scale but the elantra trans couldnt have been more then 20lbs over the alpha trans.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Excellent man, I think that's the first time anybody has done a side by side comparo. I think its safe to say that the beta trans is stronger though, so it must have better casting and gearsets. I've seen a few manual alphas crack the bell housing from normal driving.

I think they updated the alpha box around 99, I've got a 98, 99 and an 01 box on my garage floor. The 98 has less strenghtening ribs around the bell housing and on the end cap. I know they upgraded to triple synchros around 02 as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
That is the first time anybody has ever recognised that joke, instead of assuming I like it up the bum.

i figured you liking it in the bum was a given