Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

98-99 Accent with tib swap

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 hyundai Accent
Default 98-99 Accent with tib swap

Just like the title says, I'm planing on building a new Accent with a tib motor, not running boost, going N/A for reliability. The year/make/model's I have to choose from are the Elantra/Tib from year's 96-99 correct?

I'm keeping the stock Accent transmission so I won't be needing to shorten the CV Axles. I'm trying to find the plug n' play ecu from seoulfullracing.com but they don't list it any longer.

Ultimately I'm hoping it's as cracked up as everyone's made it out to be. Going from 92hp to 135hp should be quite a decent increase and that's with just swapping the motor.

Here is what I plan to do:

Tib/Elantra motor swap
Front brake conversion from elantra
Urethane bushing kit
coilover suspension
front/rear strut tower bars
front/rear swaybars (beefier if they still make them)
4-1 header, but I've only been able to find 4-2-1
Make my own exhaust 2.25 from the header back
Lightened underdrive pulley
Gut interior, leaving only one spot for a racing seat (non flea-bay)
Most likely put 16"s on it, rather than 17"s, I say this because I had 17's on my old accent, while nice, they did slow the car down from too much rolling mass to get moving.

I think the list above should put me roughly in the area I wanted to always be at with regards to reliability and fun, without hassles at state inspection time.

What do you guys think, am I crazy or should I move into something newer, like the 00-07 model Accents? I did find someone a few states over who was selling an already swapped Accent w/tib motor but it was beaten to hell, engine photos showed no air filter off the MAF, intake beaten against the firewall, and for the low price of 2500...

The biggest problem I think I'll have now is parts. The time has come and gone for the 95-99 x3's I think, sources from S.Korea have moved on and whatever they have left isn't discounted, but still for full price. What you can find though is more of the same, kitchy dress up parts, not real performance parts, like cams, headers, pistons etc.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

the X3 is the sh*t man. lightest of the accents. doing the swap is actually quite easy mechanically. personally i had issues with my beta swap electrically, but that was with a later engine and a later car. if you do a beta 1 swap, you won't run into much trouble at all. have a look around for jsharptooth91's beta swap DIY, there might be others floating around elsewhere, but i'm not entirely sure.

alot of the parts from other accents can fit onto the X3s, but yes you're right in that manufacturers are moving on. i still think the X3 will be well supplied for, they sold so well and people are always modifying them dude.

anyway, i like your plan dude. it will fly with what you have planned.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The Beta I Elantra/Tiburon ECU will plug into your wiring harness directly.

You need a 96-2000 Elantra or 97-2001 Tiburon engine.

The rest of the plan looks pretty good as long as you have a manual transmission already. You don't want to hook a Beta to an Accent automatic lol.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 97 hyundai Accent

Wow, I must have been tired when I posted I wanted to do the swap and mate it up to a A/T transmission smile.gif

I'll be keeping the M/T accent transmission so I can avoid the CV shortening. Ultimately if I can get the above done and somewhat future proof it for ease of maintenance, I'll be good.

Thanks for the year/make/model info for the motors!!