Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

What kind of damage would happen to my engine if

Old 05-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Track
Default What kind of damage would happen to my engine if

The IC pipes came loose? My couplers that came with my intercooler kit seem to not fit too well on top of the turbo (hot side) and on the throttle body (cold side). They're too short and not very long. I ordered some better fitting longer couplers but if the ones that are on the car now were to come loose while driving or fall off, other than having no boost pressure, what else could happen to my engine? The turbo would be wide open so I imagine the car would go into limp mode instantly and make some not so nice noises. I made sure the coupler rings were as tight as I could get them so I think I'll be ok for a couple of days even though the couplers seem to just be barely hanging on. I did 2 day shipping on the new ones so they'll be here on Wednesday.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Depending on how your engine management works, symptoms range from harmless (just no boost) to an overspeed condition that kills the turbo. Possibly also the computer wouldn't know what to do. Go easy on the gas pedal to stay out of boost until parts arrive that you have more confidence in their ability to hold on.