Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

How long did it take you to lower your car yourself?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0 R Spec
Default How long did it take you to lower your car yourself?

Gonna order some Tein springs and not sure if I want to tackle the job myself or go to a mechanic. I don’t have any air tools. Only the basic socket and wrench kit. Should I attempt it or just pay a pro to do it in an hour or two? Also, can I use the stock struts still with Teins or will I need different ones?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000/tiburon

i lowered my car with basic tools its alot easier than you think just do some research
Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

From start to finish you will be the better part of the day depending on how comfortable you are with tools/working on your car. You'll need to buy/rent a spring compressor tool (I bought mine for under $50). The springs are under extreme pressure and you need to be EXTRA careful when swapping them. If you don't feel comfortable, I would suggest taking it to a mechanic and have them do the work for you. How to swap the springs can be found on this site, just use the search bar at the top of the forum.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by pas1216
If you don't feel comfortable, I would suggest taking it to a mechanic and have them do the work for you.

This.

I replaced my springs and I was nervous . . . and I got balls o' steel. You can seriously injure yourself VERY quickly when working on springs. Other maintenance I'm all for working through your apprehension but if you just can't get comfortable with the idea, take it to have spring replacement done. Ditto for engine & transmission replacements.