Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Genesis Coupe daily driver comfort

Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 RSPEC
Default Genesis Coupe daily driver comfort

Gents and Ladies! What is the opinions/options on making the Genesis Coupe ride more comforting as a daily driver? Personally for me I don't mind the way it is and I love how I feel connected to the road. But...my girlfriend rides in my car a lot and always tells me how the car is too bumpy and shakey. I love her so don't tell me to get rid of her and I like her to be happy. Plus been wanting to get married and I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get a turbo or supercharger for this car. I've read a lot of opinions and articles on the internet about improving ride conditions, but was looking for options directly related to the Genesis Coupe. So with that in mind, what options have you folks experienced that you can say made a difference in ride comfort. I was thinking of maybe changing the suspension a bit; springs, coilover, strut bars or whatever. Even considered new rims (maybe smaller rims?) and bigger tires (more cushony?) of some sort. Not too concerned with performance at this point, mostly ride comfort. I want to consider everything I can before making a decision. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Tires with bigger side walls will make a HUGE difference! If you're on 19's or 20's, it may be worth going to 18's then.

Whats your current suspension set up? If you have lowering springs with stock/OEM struts, you may want to look into struts designed for lowered vehicles. If you're on coil overs, try raising the car up a little more so theres a bit more dampening. Other than that...not too much more you can do. For springs, you could go with Teins or Eibachs that lower the car slightly, but still give an OEM ride quality.

You're final option is to go with an air ride. You'll get a ride like a Cadillac, still have decent handling, but it will cost you a bit more and be be a much more complicated install compared to traditional springs and coils.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ yeah.

btw.. I think the RSpec has stiffer springs for more of a track feel and handling.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium

I got a chance to Test drive the new 2013. That car is by far the most comfortable its going to get compaired to the stock 2010=2012 coupes. springs wont do anything but make the ride harsher. Coils... only the Eibach Pro-Street-S coilovers are semi comfortable. Just buy the car and do not do any suspension mods and you will be fine, just you are going to have to deal with yourself driving a truck.

I got a woman too. I love her way too much that even wish I wasnt with her. She understands for why I have my Genesis. If she doesnt want to deal with the harsh conditions of my car, we take her FORD Fukkkus or my toyota Yaris. If she wants to look blazin hot comin out of a car to go to a party or a club, we take the coupe. lol
Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 RSPEC

Thanks for the responses guys, currently my car still has the stock suspension and I have not considered changing anything unless I went FI (this is most likely not going to happen). Im thinking bigger tires may be the way to go, but still undecided if I want to keep the stock 19 rims or change to aftermarket 18 rims. I don't track the car and don't race around, we don't have a local race track so the car just stays as a daily driver. But a fun daily driver it is! I like the suggestion of air ride suspension, but I think that may require too much maintenance for a daily driver. You think the 2013 suspension parts will be compatible with the earlier models? How different is the suspension from the 2013 and 2012? I should go research this...

If anything, I may have to just get another car for driving around with her. Like El_STiG mentioned, use one car for travel/comfort and another car for going out. Leasing a hybrid or something with good gas mileage and comfort sounds like a good option right now. It's like having my cake and eating it too!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium

Originally Posted by KrazyKen
Thanks for the responses guys, currently my car still has the stock suspension and I have not considered changing anything unless I went FI (this is most likely not going to happen). Im thinking bigger tires may be the way to go, but still undecided if I want to keep the stock 19 rims or change to aftermarket 18 rims. I don't track the car and don't race around, we don't have a local race track so the car just stays as a daily driver. But a fun daily driver it is! I like the suggestion of air ride suspension, but I think that may require too much maintenance for a daily driver. You think the 2013 suspension parts will be compatible with the earlier models? How different is the suspension from the 2013 and 2012? I should go research this...

If anything, I may have to just get another car for driving around with her. Like El_STiG mentioned, use one car for travel/comfort and another car for going out. Leasing a hybrid or something with good gas mileage and comfort sounds like a good option right now. It's like having my cake and eating it too!

IF you have the 19" rims (Track/RSpec) you dont want to go any beefier on the the tires, Its going to cost you more. Stick with the 18" (base) rims and that 245/(40)/18 is the way to go. Its nice and thick and doesnt look so bar. Air ride is cool but its super expensive, if you have the money for that, by all means go for it. The 2013 parts will be different from the other models. As to how different the suspension is from the 2010-2012 to the 2013, is that the 2013 suspension they went with softer spring rates and dampening. like I sh*t you not, when I drove the new 2013 I thought I was driving a basic Honda civic. I ranted on another forum saying that they are killing the image of the car for doing that to the suspension, it doesnt make it feel sporty, but hey its not for everyone.