Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Quiet CAI new Tib/Elantra

Old 08-15-2002, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Elantra
Default Quiet CAI new Tib/Elantra

Ok here is what you do. I will try and get pictures tomorrow but I will try to explain as good as possible here. I did this because the current CAI's are too loud and they do not allow for engine movement. Plus I did not like attracting cops with the sound (no tickets in 7years).

Get an air filter with a 3" inside diameter. Goto local Homedepot or similiar place and get a 3" thin sheet aluminum connector about 4" long. I forget what section I found it in. I think it was with the venting stuff. Get a couple of thin metal hangers for air ducts. It looks like exhaust hanger but much thinner and easier to work with. Find a local tubing supply house and get a foot of RFH hose 3" id it should stand upto 275deg. I have to verify the hose I'll post a link to the definate type later. Make sure you get a couple of hose clamps also.

First take the lid off the air box. Push the sleeve out where the air comes from the box to the t/b. Next look in the bottom of box and remove the baffle down in the corner where the air comes in. Take the elbow and the flexible pipe use about 4" length and shape the flex pipe and push it into the oval end of the elbow(the part that goes into the fender). Wrap electrical tape around the connection several times make sure the tape is warm it will shape better. Put the elbow in place pushing the tubing through the hole. Put the aluminum connector into the flex pipe slide your two clamps on push the filter on to the aluminum connector. Take the duct hanger strap and shape it like this l_l. You slide on side under the clamps and put the other onto the stud that was used for the original resonator. You will find it easier to mount if you angle the filter toward the front of the vehicle. you will have to come up with a good way to seal the airbox and the elbow better. Iam thinking of using some thicker weatherstripping.

This project assumes you already took the resonator out of the fender.
If you use a catch can for the pcv lines you will also gain a little more. I don't think I missed anything. If anyone wants I will get more specific on everything when I post pics. Oh the sound is perfect. You can tell the car is not stock but it does not attract every cop in town.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Elantra

This is the flexible tubing you will need to find. A foot is all you need to buy, you will only need a few inches of it. It is the first one.
flexpipe

[ August 16, 2002, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]