Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

ported intake manifolds, whos got em?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default ported intake manifolds, whos got em?

Found a shop finally near me that ports manis and tb's at a really really really good price. I know you should port both when doing it and was wondering those who have it done, did you feel a big difference on the butt dyno?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i never had a ported intake manifold, but had an air ram.. felt a decent amount of gain from what my butt could tell, but porting/polishing the stocker wouldn't yield as much as your not actually changing the design much.

I did a ported/polished intake manifold for radu when he went turbo. Wouldn't know the difference between stock and ported since he went turbo and added the IM at the same time..

this shop that would be doing the work, how would they be doing the porting/polishing? some places would do it as simple as bore the TB opening and match the port on the runners to the gasket and thats about it.. others will do more elaborate boring and possibly extrude honing.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: Tiburon 2001

i felt the difference, but i installed it at the same time as i installed the GT-R BBTB so i couldnt say about the mani alone, but go for it
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Im one of the only people on the forum that has an old skool Onpol Special BBIM and BBTB. I definitely could feel a difference in throttle response and a little difference in the butt dyno. You wont get amazing results by porting both, but it does help the engine breathe better. Combine that with a good intake, exhaust, and header combo and you'll be happy.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I Ported my own. I bored the TB opening to match my BBTB, port matched to the head, and took off rough edges anywhere I could access.

With the BBTB it made a significant difference. Without I couldn't really feel anything different.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ that's because you didn't use a fluid dynamics modeling program to see if what you were planning to do would help or hurt or neither, and then you also failed to use a wet flow bench to verify your computer models. You know, like everyone else who has "ported" a Beta intake manifold.

These manifolds are nasty rough castings. Opening up the TB fitting to the size of your throttle body inlet will help. Removing casting flash will help. Will the help me measurable? Probably not even on a dynamometer. Will it make you feel better? Sure it will.

If you REALLY want notable performance gains on a stock intake manifold, it will involve cutting and welding, with significant modifications to places you just CAN'T reach without chopping it all up.

Losing a kilo of aluminum: THIS is a ported IM. Gasket matching both ends hardly compares.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/