Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

How many miles can you go after gas light comes on?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Elantra Turbo
Default How many miles can you go after gas light comes on?

I was wondering once your gas light comes on, how much further can you go until the car shuts off? I have never tried this experiment out of fear of running out before getting to a gas station, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever done it or ran 100% out.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 04 elantra gt hatch back

i have gone about an additional 35 miles after the light comes on, I have a digital read out of how many miles i have till empty
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I asked Hyundai australia about this a while ago, for an un-related issue. Apparently it is industry standard to illuminate the fuel light when you have one gallon of gas left.

I can't imagine that would hold true for something like an F-350 though.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 04 elantra gt hatch back

i looked at my digital read out today right after the light came on, it states i have 50 miles to go till the tank is empty but i dont go lower than when it shows 35 miles till empty
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

my j2 elantra's fuel light dont work, possibly due to a fault in the FSU.."fuel sending unit"

there are times when i run the car dry just to see how much i can squeeze it until it cuts out, i know it kills the fuel pump especially since the fuel pump is cooled and lubricated in the gasoline its submerged in..

and just for kicks..i'm on my 4th fuel pump..

so far i been able to get 320 miles on a full tank..that also exlcude's overfilling