Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Ford tries to prove 2012 Focus is more fuel efficient than Hyundai Elantra

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Ford tries to prove 2012 Focus is more fuel efficient than Hyundai Elantra

Hyundai promotes its redesigned 2011 Elantra as a 40-mpg rated subcompact no matter how it's optioned. Meanwhile, Ford can only say, officially, that the 2012 Focus cracks the coveted 40-mpg mark when equipped with the SFE (super fuel economy) package and six-speed automatic transmission. This must upset Ford, so to prove that the Focus is a fuel-sipping hatch regardless of its options, the Blue Oval organized a media drive in Romeo, MI recently.

Ford engineers had automotive industry reporters drive the Elantra at a steady 45 miles per hour around its 2.5-mile track in Romeo. Then, reporters hopped in a Focus (one not equipped with the SFE package) and lapped the track at the same speed. Ford says all conditions were equal and that an engineer in the backseat of each vehicle monitored fuel economy.

After dozens of drives, the results showed that the average fuel economy of the Focus was 40.4 mpg versus the Elantra's average of 37.8 mpg. So, Ford seems to have proved that, when it comes to fuel economy, the Focus is more efficient at a steady 45 mph than the Elantra. Do these results matter in real-world driving? We haven't a clue.
http://dev.sandbox.green.autoblog.co...nt-than-hyund/

I would still take an Elantra any day of the week over a freaking Focus!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I wonder what the hp rating of the Focus was.

I have heard from Elantra owners that the 40mpg rating is bogus.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

The new focus isn't that bad... and I still think the new elantra looks like a fish.. Ehhh.... add to that the dumbEthrottle on hyundai sticks and Im not going to dog on the blue oval. Good for ford for not sucking to much. The old foci was a turd.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Next let's see what gear each car used for the test . . . and the tire pressures, etc.

Stuff like this is easy enough to rig for the dupes. Both cars get what used to be astonishingly high fuel economy.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yes, because we all drive at exactly 45mph in a 2.5mi track all day long. Yes indeed.

Way to have a non-biased, non-set up "test", Ford. Now get them on the roads for awhile - interstate, city, spirited driving, grandma driving, etc. Then see who wins. That's like having an mpg test between the Prius and the Tiburon while doing 110mph. I'd bet the Tiburon is going to be just about the same as the Prius. (Granted the Prius can't even go over 100mph, so it's probably a moot test anyhow...)

All that being said, I love it that Ford is trying to prove they're better than someone else (Hyundai). That means they already acknowledge that the Elantra is better, and they're just trying to catch up. That's one of the laws in the 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing - "Be the first". Hyundai took that title, and there's no way Ford can ever catch up to it. Hyundai's challenge wasn't beating another car company. Their challenge was passing the 40mpg mark, which they did. Now nobody else can do that, they all have to "beat Hyundai's mpg". Hyundai!