Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

What to replace when pulling a cylinder head?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default What to replace when pulling a cylinder head?

Is there anything that needs to be replaced when pulling a cylinder head? I dont mean just because you have it off (i just replaced all the gaskets and seals not to long ago) I'm talking about something that if I dont replace it, something will mess up (btw I am replacing the head bolts with arp studs).
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

just the bolts and head gasket...everything else is optional
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

just head gasket and intake and exhaust valve oil seals.. assuming thats why ur replacing it anyways

i would reuse head bolts.. dip in oil. and torque to ft lbs and -40°, +40° x2 to each bolt. unless its a turbo application, in that case it is mandated.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
just the bolts and head gasket...everything else is optional
This.

bigfishmoney, the seals were described as recently replaced in the OP. Plus your 'specifications' are gibberish.

My reading of the question is: "I am replacing my head bolts with ARP studs, do I need to change anything else?" and zero_gravity got it right. If you weren't replacing the bolts, but just felt like having a peek inside the engine for some reason, all you would need is a head gasket . . . Hyundai specifies the head bolts for unlimited reuse.