Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Elantra GT vs. Altima

Old 10-18-2001, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elantra GT vs. Altima

I will soon be ready to buy a new car. My total budget is ~22000. After exhaustive research I have narrowed it down to a 3.5SE Altima 5spd (240hp 3200lbs) or an Elantra GT with 8000 left for mods! (ZOING!! eek.gif ) I suppose 225-250hp is what I'd end up with which should hand the Altima it's a$$. But then suppose you supercharge the Altima later on...? I was just wondering what opinion you all have on this knowing full well that you are unbiased, of course rolleyes.gif .BTW I put this on the engine mods forum because as we all know it's all about POWER . Thanks everyone!
Old 10-18-2001, 03:07 PM

The altima looks nice, but not for the price. If you stick with those two, id go for the GT. HOWEVER, I really suggest you get the new Sonata. I think you get get a V6 for like 18K or less. It has the same engine as the new 2003 Tiburon with 181HP and 174 i believe torque. The styling is VERY nice, and probably would be able to share future engine mods that are made for the 2003 Tiburon.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT

I would say go with GT. I have it right now. I love it so much! It's not as powerful as Altima but u have $8000 to spend (lots of extra power!!!). And I think GT's styling is better. It really looks like a European car. Especially, like SAAB. Many SAAB owners compliment the design of my car.
Also I don't think you would be able to get Altima 3.5 fully loaded for only $22K. I am sure there is going to be a dealer markup on those. Elantra GT is a great value!! Leather seats are standard. Just add a sunroof and you are fully loaded! If you are into performance, you won't need ABS and traction control (leave it for old people who drive big Benz's and Lex's).
I could go on and on. But I should stop now because I don't want it to be a long post.
Make a right choice, man!
Old 10-18-2001, 08:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing Brad said as I was reading the initial post. A Sonata will give you a superior engine for less money than the Nissan. AND, the Zefiro kit for the 2000-2001 Sonata is slick!
Old 10-18-2001, 08:53 PM

Don't forget the V-6 Sonata also comes with a 5spd tranny.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It depends on what you are looking for. The Nissan will have better aftermarket support, but at the same time your ride will not be as unique as the 2001 Elantra.

If you want total HP for the money, for $8000, you should be able to get the Elantra up to 240 HP at the engine and have money left over...but if you just want MAX TOTAL HP...then the altima will have more due to the 3.5L V6.

The looks department is subjective, I've seen the new 2002 Altima...and it is basicly a maxima striped of a few parts, different front/rear bumpers, and ugly taillights. So people will always be confusing your Altima with the Maxima, which may be a good thing in your book, again, it's subjective. The 2001 Elantra is a more "unique" ride, and your car will stand out more, but, it will be 10 times harder to find aftermarket parts for the Elantra compared to the Altima.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:21 AM

I doubt that though....i never seen any altima parts or body kits in magazines...unless they have internet communities like we do for hyundais
Old 10-19-2001, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by yamaneko:
I doubt that though....i never seen any altima parts or body kits in magazines...unless they have internet communities like we do for hyundais</div>

The new Altima is the maxima with some redesigned exterior. So 90% of maxima aftermarket parts should work. The only ones that won't are the headlights/tailights and body kits. Even the body kits could probably be adapted if you switched out the head/tail lights.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:23 AM

u thought we were gonna say go with ALTIMA??? lol
HYUNDAI all the way man even tho the XG's been a problem lately (BRAND NEW AXLE(2 times) and New Tranny)
but still, for the money, you can't beat hyundai's quality and looks
Old 10-19-2001, 07:40 AM
Red

Heya Silver Tiburon,

You mentioned you were having problems with XG tranny/axles? Could you perhaps elaborate a bit more on what went wrong / what the symptoms were? I am going to soon purchase one of Hyundai's larger cruisers, either one of the beautiful new redesigned 2002 Sonatas, or an XG300.

I hadn't heard of them eating trannies and/or axles, so I'm curious what the story was before I buy

Thanks!
-Red-