Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Elantra GT cam, negative points?

Old 06-03-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elantra GT cam, negative points?

Is there any downside to getting an elantra gt cam for a 2001 tiburon? is it weaker? etc.
Thanks
Nick
Old 06-03-2002, 11:44 AM

well only the fact that your wallet gets lighter and your hands get greasier wink

No, GT cam is a good mod. cheap and benificial if you have a full intake system.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I actually just did the GT cam on my car on Friday ... the only other engine mod I had was a custom CAI. With only that I noticed more pull in the low rpm's but it felt significantly weaker in the high rpm range. I was kinda upset about this so today I went and had a 2.5" exhaust put on from right behind the o2 sensor into a OBX HF02 muffler. Now I feel the difference .. we will be out testing the car within the next few days, 2 cars identical mods except I have the cam, so we'll see if there is a significant difference.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:18 PM

Oh wow yeah keep me posted man. I was thinking for my first mods, i'd just buy a CAI, KORE's new exhaust, and the gt cam all at once. But heck i dont want to loose hp!
Old 06-03-2002, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

so it will better to get intake, exhaust, then cam sounds like to me to notice anything
Old 06-03-2002, 02:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ieathondas:
Oh wow yeah keep me posted man. I was thinking for my first mods, i'd just buy a CAI, KORE's new exhaust, and the gt cam all at once. But heck i dont want to loose hp!</div>You won't lose HP from it at all. Not even if you don't have any other mods. However, the cam will only really show it's true colors and give you some nice gains when there are other mods to help it along.. such as a full intake, (CAI,BIM/BTB,Cam) and also, a better exhaust will help, because logic dictates, if something breathes in, it needs to breathe out.

And Neo_Tib: That is really odd that you felt gains lower and felt a loss higher.. most people have said that the cam gives a nice kick at about 4000+ RPM.. Odd.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>And Neo_Tib: That is really odd that you felt gains lower and felt a loss higher.. most people have said that the cam gives a nice kick at about 4000+ RPM.. Odd.</div>Before the exhaust it felt like a bigger kick with the stock cam at about 5k ... after the cam ... I didn't feel that at all, but it did feel stonger from about 3k... then after doing a couple of 1/4 mile tests, it confirmed that it pulled hard through 1st and 2nd and just seemed to die off near the top of third.

Maybe indeed I didn't LOOSE hp, maybe it just doesn't hold the gain all the way through the powerband that the stock cam had.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:18 AM

I noticed a huge difference over the stock intake cam, especially after 5k rpms.

I have the Kore cold air intake and a Pacesetter 2.25" cat back exhaust on the car. Mid-range is definitely better, and top end is much improved.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:00 AM

i beleive someone described it as feeling like a v-tech kick after 4k. Which it really does feel different.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:08 AM
BV1

Neo, keep me posted on the gains with the exhaust....

-Steve