Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Elantra 98

Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Elantra Sedan Gls
Default Elantra 98

Anyone has an Elantra 98?...if so, any pictures?, would love to see some, specially if they are modified.

I have been struggling trying to find performed parts like, body-kits, information about swapping engine from a newer elantra or a Honda or Evo or any other car with higher HP's,info abut lowering kits, etc...etc...etc...

Any info will be really appreciated.

By the way....If anyone can help me with this question...when driving at variable speeds, the engine cuts out then cuts back on.

No consistencies to when or why it cuts out. Check engine light stays on for days at a time.

I bought this car on 2001,with 55,ooo miles and it has been doing this since then, actual millage 230,000....and still running like new :^)

Any idea on what can be causing this???

Thanks in advance.

Robertino
Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Get the CEL codes read. Autozone or other parts stores will do this for free.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Get codes read. Without the code, nobody can know what it is.

I still have to take photos of the Wagon because it's really low to the ground. It's so lovely! B+G is the BEST suspension, I mean truly truly amazing springs. The only problem is the splashguards had to be taken out.

It's really a fantastic car far ahead of its time. Although it's a 1996 design, still holds up remarkably well to all of these new cars (something other cars of its time couldn't do).
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Elantra Sedan Gls

Originally Posted by 187sks
Get the CEL codes read. Autozone or other parts stores will do this for free.

I will have to do that, didn't know they would do it and for FREE!!!...great tip, Thank you!!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Not a 98 but a 99

more http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/...20pics/XGODZX/
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ With the graphics and the drop, yes. As is in the photos, no. Props but that was WAY too much work IMO. I'd rock it, but I'd never have built it!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Yes , it has been a lot of work especially the custom rear bar i did myself but I'm not finished yet. my next plan it get the Eaton m45 s/c done in June then rear disc swap, probably air suspension then some interior mods followed by custom paint job.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Lantra

Originally Posted by Robertino
By the way....If anyone can help me with this question...when driving at variable speeds, the engine cuts out then cuts back on.

No consistencies to when or why it cuts out. Check engine light stays on for days at a time.

I bought this car on 2001,with 55,ooo miles and it has been doing this since then, actual millage 230,000....and still running like new :^)

Any idea on what can be causing this???

Thanks in advance.

Robertino

Robertino.

This may sound a little odd but do it anyway.

Remove the positive and negative leads from you battery and clean up both battery posts thoroughly. Also thoroughly clean the cable ends where they connect to the battery.

Start the car and get it to operating temperature. Stop the car.

Lift the bonnet and remove the ECU fuse from the underbonnet fuse box (next to left hand strut top). Leave out for a few minutes, replace and restart the car WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. Allow the vehicle to idle for about 3-4 minutes and switch off.

You've now essentially set the vehicle back to factory spec and the ecu will go back into economy mode. If all is well you car should be running a lot better.

Just a word on performance.

I ALWAYS recommend attending to tyres, brakes and suspension BEFORE engine upgrades. Then, it's intake first, exhaust second and everything else after.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Andrew