Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

ECU upgrade & etc.

Old 03-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Pick up an S-AFC and have it dyno tuned. With mods, you should see both a HP and MPG gain.

To make your tibby into a korean spec, you would have to dump your USA spec ECU and go with a korean spec ECU. I'm not sure how the korean spec ECU would get along with the USA spec dash, but other than that, it should be that easy.

If you did do the ECU swap, no dealership in the USA would be able to read your ECU to get error codes or reset the CEL light, or read any engine codes. The USA ECU's have OBD-ii, the Korean Spec ECU's do not. Also, Korean Spec ECU's do not have a provision for Cruise control, as it is not offered as an option in korea. I'm not sure if that feature would continue to work or not.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

The korean spec ECU is for MAP beta engines, so it would work on your car, but you would loose OBD-ii and possibly cruise.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

To get to the ECU is a major PITA, but assuming you just "zip tied" it in place rather than bolt it into place, Max time would be 2 hours, in reality, you could probably get the swap done in under a half hour with practice.

The Only other thing' I'd worry about with a Korean Spec ECU is the automatic transmission Piggyback. But since you have a 5-speed, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Oh, and Elantra or Tibby should not really matter, you just need to make sure you get an ECU for the 2001+ motor.