Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-elantra-forum-64/)
-   -   ECU upgrade & etc. (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-elantra-forum-64/ecu-upgrade-etc-1430/)

hawaiibullrider 03-07-2002 05:07 AM

ECU upgrade & etc.

I was wondering if anyone made and ecu that was programmable and didnt need a set of cams/intake/header for the US Spec 2001 Elantra with MAP. Also is there any way to turn a US spec into a korean spec? I don't care about emissions stuff. I am in texas right now will be for the next 3 years. Noone here checks emmissions. I know about 6 people here not even running cats on their cars.

Anyway back to the ecu thing. SInce I would like a programmable unit is there software to program them if one exists?

I think HDK has one but it is set for intake/header/exhaust/cam. Which cam do they mean? They have 3. Which one of those cams would also be turbo and/or supercharger friendly.

[ March 10, 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: SCCA 01 Elantra ]

Random 03-08-2002 03:44 PM

Pick up an S-AFC and have it dyno tuned. With mods, you should see both a HP and MPG gain.

To make your tibby into a korean spec, you would have to dump your USA spec ECU and go with a korean spec ECU. I'm not sure how the korean spec ECU would get along with the USA spec dash, but other than that, it should be that easy.

If you did do the ECU swap, no dealership in the USA would be able to read your ECU to get error codes or reset the CEL light, or read any engine codes. The USA ECU's have OBD-ii, the Korean Spec ECU's do not. Also, Korean Spec ECU's do not have a provision for Cruise control, as it is not offered as an option in korea. I'm not sure if that feature would continue to work or not.

hawaiibullrider 03-08-2002 07:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
Pick up an S-AFC and have it dyno tuned. With mods, you should see both a HP and MPG gain.

To make your tibby into a korean spec, you would have to dump your USA spec ECU and go with a korean spec ECU. I'm not sure how the korean spec ECU would get along with the USA spec dash, but other than that, it should be that easy.

If you did do the ECU swap, no dealership in the USA would be able to read your ECU to get error codes or reset the CEL light, or read any engine codes. The USA ECU's have OBD-ii, the Korean Spec ECU's do not. Also, Korean Spec ECU's do not have a provision for Cruise control, as it is not offered as an option in korea. I'm not sure if that feature would continue to work or not.</div>Haha Random cought ya, Mine is't a Tibby it's a 2001 elantra gls smile.gif . Anyway, I had already planned on getting the S-AFC. Also, I didn't know about that cruise control thing. Man I use that all the time smile.gif .

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stick to the AFC thing. And save up for a haltec or something. Assuming they make an ECU for the MAP controlled cars.

Random 03-09-2002 02:39 AM

The korean spec ECU is for MAP beta engines, so it would work on your car, but you would loose OBD-ii and possibly cruise.

hawaiibullrider 03-09-2002 06:21 PM

K, thats cool. How hard would it be to change back and forth with it ie... yearly smog checks? And you know that mine's an Elantra know right?

Random 03-10-2002 02:29 AM

To get to the ECU is a major PITA, but assuming you just "zip tied" it in place rather than bolt it into place, Max time would be 2 hours, in reality, you could probably get the swap done in under a half hour with practice.

The Only other thing' I'd worry about with a Korean Spec ECU is the automatic transmission Piggyback. But since you have a 5-speed, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Oh, and Elantra or Tibby should not really matter, you just need to make sure you get an ECU for the 2001+ motor.

hawaiibullrider 03-10-2002 02:32 AM

Thats cool. But you said the korean ecu is a pita to get. In another thread we have going here about the 30HP NA to wheels you mention the Korean ECU. This is confusing me a little. I'd go with the Modified korean ECU if I could.

CLose this thread and I think we could use the earlier thread.