Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

My nuts are stuck

Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent
Default My nuts are stuck

Seriously, does someone have a solution to stuck lug nuts? I got some new rotors that I want to put on but there's a couple of lug nuts on both front tires that refuse to move. I've tried a break bar, standing on the lug wrench and everything. I think the shop that last had my car put them on way too tight with an impact wrench. So other than me taking the car back to them, is there anything I can at home to get these darn things off?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Take it back, make them remove them and pay when they break them. Had this happen to 3/4 of mine on the Accent. Ended up breaking them and spending about $200 at the dealer to have them replaced. Discount Tire denied responsibility.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent gt beta swapped

at the topic title.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

yeah, they put them on so fricking tight that it stretches the threads on both the nut and stud, if they did that to my car, i'd make the service manager pay for my nut&studs.

use a propane torch "relieves surface tension" and heat them up about 40-50 sec per lug and try the breaker bar, or try using a long metal pipe of some sort over the breaker bar
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by 03-accent-03
Take it back, make them remove them and pay when they break them. Had this happen to 3/4 of mine on the Accent. Ended up breaking them and spending about $200 at the dealer to have them replaced. Discount Tire denied responsibility.

This, but it depends on the shop manager, how well this will work. If they suck, you're stuck.

Hit them with some penetrating oil and get a cheater bar on the end of your breaker bar. Be SUPER careful if you have plastic wheel covers, if you decide to try a torch. Hate to burn the car down. Buy new studs and nuts BEFORE you start working. If they break during removal operations, no worries just replace them. If not, return your unused parts.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

normally anti seize ain't recommended for wheels studs but it ensures that the nut doesn't seize up halfway out on the stud, especially overtightened studs with stretched threads

i've been driving with lightly applied anti seize compound on my studs and they have yet to break loose a wheel..just dont goop it up, just dab of it.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Nothing beats a strong impact wrench in this situation.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Replacing the studs on the front of an Accent is a royal PITA. The studs are just not hard enough and when you go over the puny 80 ft/lbs they stretch and seize.

I had to just break them off, one in front one in back. Drove around for 1/2 a year with three lugs on two wheels.