Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Getting rid of cigarette smell in a car...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Accent
Default Getting rid of cigarette smell in a car...

I let a friend borrow my car this weekend and shes a little bit of an airhead. She brought it back, and when I got in it to go somewhere it smelled really bad of smoke. I asked her if she smoked in it and she said she had a couple of cigs but kept the window down and didnt think it would hurt anything. I could of killed her.

The smell is really strong and Ive tried to febreeze the hell out of it and its still there. What else can I do to remove this smell? help.gif sad.gif
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (accentchick @ Jul 6 2010, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I let a friend borrow my car this weekend and shes a little bit of an airhead. She brought it back, and when I got in it to go somewhere it smelled really bad of smoke. I asked her if she smoked in it and she said she had a couple of cigs but kept the window down and didnt think it would hurt anything. I could of killed her.

The smell is really strong and Ive tried to febreeze the hell out of it and its still there. What else can I do to remove this smell? help.gif sad.gif</div>

Use a whole bottle of febreeze and buy a sh*t load of air fresheners, roll the windows up and let it get hot inside. I usually get the new car smell fresheners. other then that I have no idea. Cig smoke is hard to get rid of.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Put one of the baking soda boxes with the open sides meant for a refrigerator in the car and it will help absorb the smell.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Make her pay for it!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

clean all fabric in the car. It will go away on it's own though.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm suggesting a mixture of the replies:

Everytime I drive it, I would leave the windows down to circulate fresh air into the car.

First, get baking soda box and let it absorb the smell.
Second, lightly mist some water on the fabric that has cig smell, and vacuum it up - and hope the water attaches to the smell and you can suck it out of the fibers.
Third, buy those in-car air fresheners

Use the baking soda box first to take out any of the bad smell, then use the air fresheners to mask the remaining smells
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Look, I drive my car daily and smoke daily. I can get the smell out with a vacuum. It goes away easily. People get all up tight like it's going to stay there forever.

I've removed the smell many times before a car show. It does not take baking soda. that's redonkuous.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

^^You're a smoker, and I assure you it still smells a crapload like cigarette smoke you just aren't sensitive to it. Trust me, practically my whole family smokes so I know how desensitized smokers are to the smell vs. a non-smoker.

It takes a couple of months for a heavily smoked in car to lose the smell naturally usually, judging from how it's been when I've bought a smoker's car before. If it was just smoked in for a day or two, the smell will probably disappear within a week or so if you windex the inside of the windows, Febreeze the upholstery and carpets, and wipe down hard surfaces with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant or your favorite interior protectant.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've been car shopping the last few weeks. I used to smoke, both of my parents smoked, and I'm not very sensitive to it.

However, my wife has never smoked, her family members have never smoked, and we sat in a few used cars that she was easily able to tell had been smoked in before. The salesman confirmed a couple of them that the previous owners were smokers. They said they leave them open to air out at least once a week and they're detailed before put on the lot.