Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Complete Mod And Tune On 2001 Accent Hatch

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/accent
Default Complete Mod And Tune On 2001 Accent Hatch

My wife has a manual 2001 Hyundai Accent GS Sedan L4-1.6L and we are getting ready to start tuning and moding. I have very little experience with tuning but am interested in learning. I want to start with a engine and tranny build and swap, and work my way through the entire car. My first question is which engine will i get the most gain for and what can i upgrade and mod when i go to put it it. Also what is the best tranny that will match that engine. Price is no object. Thank you.https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...lt/bowdown.gif
Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent

Well, I'm not the foremost expert in the field (kinda new to KDM lol), but as far as I know, the 2.0 Beta is about your best bet. If you are serious about money being no object, once you acquire the motor from a salvage yard visit horsepowerfreaks.com and look at all the internals for the motor. Once I return from afghanistan, it's gonna be motor + internals + suspension... We may have to have a face-off at that point! disappearing.gif

Hey, here's a link to one of the easiet DIY postings i've been able to find:

Beta DIY
Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I second the Beta II 2.0l recommendation.

The Beta responds well to boost, don't bother with doing N/A.

The 5 speed Beta trans is pretty good but not great. There is a 6-speed available for the Beta in Korea only. Nobody has been able to answer to me whether it's the same as the Tiburon V6 6-speed, but if it is it's a much stronger engine, if money is truly no object. Also, the auto transmissions are generally stronger than the manuals but you need to get a custom torque converter to be able to take advantage of that and people have done that but I don't think it's an off the shelf item.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jul 26 2009, 08:59 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>I second the Beta II 2.0l recommendation.

The 5 speed Beta trans is pretty good but not great. There is a 6-speed available for the Beta in Korea only. Nobody has been able to answer to me whether it's the same as the Tiburon V6 6-speed, but if it is it's a much stronger engine, if money is truly no object. Also, the auto transmissions are generally stronger than the manuals but you need to get a custom torque converter to be able to take advantage of that and people have done that but I don't think it's an off the shelf item.</div>

Tak and I were talking about trannys in another thread. I chose to use the beta tranny with my swap only because I bought the two together and because I figured it would take the power from the beta better than an alpha tranny.

Reasons I wouldn't bother with the Beta tranny, It doesn't fit in the engine bay. I had to file away at it to get it to fit in and had a friend sit on the motor as I lowered it in, just to jam it between the frame. And the trials of time have revealed to me personally, that the Beta tranny is no better or more reliable than the original alpha tranny.

just to bear that in mind if you wanted to swap your tranny. I might stick with original tranny with upgraded clutch.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jul 26 2009, 05:59 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>I second the Beta II 2.0l recommendation.

The 5 speed Beta trans is pretty good but not great. There is a 6-speed available for the Beta in Korea only. Nobody has been able to answer to me whether it's the same as the Tiburon V6 6-speed, but if it is it's a much stronger engine, if money is truly no object. Also, the auto transmissions are generally stronger than the manuals but you need to get a custom torque converter to be able to take advantage of that and people have done that but I don't think it's an off the shelf item.</div>

so why not just use the v6 does it not fit
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If the Beta is already a tight fit, I'm sure the V6 won't
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 PM

no the V6 fits. Someone did a partial swap (never knew if he had it running but the engine was in the car.) I think he had to do something with the frame. But just by looking at it, there is a lot of room in the engine bay and I think the V6 is only bigger in the right directions. But I think a lot of people are steered away from it because It requires custom mounts and that's a lot of weight to be in the front of a hatch, I think it would handle dangerously iwthout major suspension modifications. I would just turbo a beta. turbo lag is your friend when it comes to fwd, a super would leave you with way too much power from a dead stop.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

oops.gif my bad
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM

here we go

Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I have a bunch more pics from that swap also.

Plus a guy I know says he did the V6 swap for a client.

The main reasons not to do it is the harness will need to be fully customized because of the different number of cylinders and sensors, and as mentioned before the weight issue.