Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Can you convert a 1.6L Lc 4dr auto to manual?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Stuff like this renews my faith in humanity. You guys make me smile.

Here in AZ they test all emissions on newer cars by hooking it up to the OBD. Probably the same everywhere else. My Beta throws a few CELs because the ECU still thinks it's in an Elantra and I am missing a few components that are on the Elantra but not the Accent (mostly emissions related things).

Any CEL = no pass.

I promise you that you will have a CEL your first time and will probably decide not to spend MORE time and MORE money just to get it to turn off for a few silly missing features.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

yeah, it's always the evap canister ...

up here in Canada it's not a problem, so a few swapped Accent have a CEL all year long! lolll One guy fixed the problem the easy way : he removed the CEL light bulb laugh.gif
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You can also run the Beta off of the 1.6l ECU to avoid the CEL problem.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

where in jersey do you live. i would be willing to help with the swap. i have 12 junkyards within 2 miles of where i live and all of them have at least 1 manual accent in them. i was planning on doing the swap myself in the future. and im debating whether or not to sell the car, but i had so much done to it already i don't think it would be worth it to get a stocker again.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent Gl

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omeletduefromage @ Mar 28 2009, 05:59 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>where in jersey do you live. i would be willing to help with the swap. i have 12 junkyards within 2 miles of where i live and all of them have at least 1 manual accent in them. i was planning on doing the swap myself in the future. and im debating whether or not to sell the car, but i had so much done to it already i don't think it would be worth it to get a stocker again.</div>

I live near burlington city. Im outside mount holly Nj. Recently i got my s13 nissan Ka-T back from that crook of a mechanic. Dumb move on my part letting him swap everything to my new chassis. So for now this project is on hold but I am still interested.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

wow mount holly is pretty far from me it would be really hard to do the swap only because your about 2 hours away and it would require at least 2-3 days to do the entire swap.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omeletduefromage @ Apr 9 2009, 07:01 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>wow mount holly is pretty far from me it would be really hard to do the swap only because your about 2 hours away and it would require at least 2-3 days to do the entire swap.</div>

I want to let you know the swap isn't that hard at all. I've done it with my two friends and we accomplished this in 1 day with a lot of beer. You will need the following: 1.6 manual transmission, 1.6 flywheel, Clutch pedal and brake pedal from either the x3 (1995-1999) accent or current (2000-2002) hyundai accent, ALSO you can use the x3 shifter cables and shifter it works I did it. or you can use the LC (2000-2002) accent shifter cables with shifter, 1.6L manual axles with new axle seals and axle clips. You will need a dremel to grind out the metal where you will be bolting the clutch pedal to the firewall. you also need slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Hell if you want since my car accident this past friday, they totaled my car and i can no longer drive it in florida, because florida is gay like that. I can sell you all the parts except the shifter cables / transmission / flywheel. Contact me if you want. The install is quite easy and it is well worth it. I sold the shifter cables to someone local. PM me if your interested or email me at [no spam] spades6969 @ aol.com[no spam] just type it without the spaces. Good luck with the swap.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 PM

it's not hard. i did an auto to manual swap on a 2000 tiburon a few years ago. you simply need all of the parts that are unique to the manual, engine support, and a dremel, as noted. transmission, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, starter motor, shifter assembly, shift linkage, clutch pedal and master cylinder, drive shafts.

also, hyundai was nice enough to have the punch out for the clutch master cylinder in the firewall, so you know where to cut smile.gif you don't need the manual ecu. all you have to do is splice two of the wires on the transmission range switch to make the car think it's in park, and you're good to go. splicing these two wires will let you start the car. you DO NOT need the switch that goes behind the clutch pedal to let the ecu know the pedal is depressed to start the car...which is a nice feature...that you can just jump in and turn the key w/o pressing the clutch.

it's doable in 20 hours for a two novices. get a buddy and plan on a few full days, or a few extra half days if you like to drink while you work smile.gif
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(turbulence @ May 22 2009, 10:14 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>it's not hard. i did an auto to manual swap on a 2000 tiburon a few years ago. you simply need all of the parts that are unique to the manual, engine support, and a dremel, as noted. transmission, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, starter motor, shifter assembly, shift linkage, clutch pedal and master cylinder, drive shafts.

also, hyundai was nice enough to have the punch out for the clutch master cylinder in the firewall, so you know where to cut smile.gif you don't need the manual ecu. all you have to do is splice two of the wires on the transmission range switch to make the car think it's in park, and you're good to go. splicing these two wires will let you start the car. you DO NOT need the switch that goes behind the clutch pedal to let the ecu know the pedal is depressed to start the car...which is a nice feature...that you can just jump in and turn the key w/o pressing the clutch.

it's doable in 20 hours for a two novices. get a buddy and plan on a few full days, or a few extra half days if you like to drink while you work smile.gif</div>
turbulence has a more FULL list of the parts needed. I definitely forgot about the clutch/pressure plate and splicing the two wires. thank you for clearing that up. Go with a combination of my parts list and turbulence and you have everything you need to do the swap.