Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

2004 Hyundai Accent Modification Tips & Help

Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by juve1010
How loud are we talking with the headers?

In my 2.0 Tiburon i was running a set of headers and cat-less exhaust with a big fart can muffler. It was so loud that I had trouble talking to passengers even with the silencer in the muffler. I later had an exhaust add a cat and another muffler under the middle of the car, and I still think it's loud. I can however have a conversation in the car now, but when I buy tires and I read in the reviews about road noise, I laugh and keep scrolling.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm going to reiterate that you'll never pass inspection in California with a header or an intake. Also can't with a turbo. Or a missing catalytic converter. A Beta swap is possible to do legally though.

Header-

A header replaces the factory exhaust manifold. The factory exhaust manifold has an integral catalytic converter. There are bungs for your oxygen sensors on the header and on the down pipe, but there is supposed to be a catalytic converter between the two. There are ways to fool the second O2 sensor, or you can do like me and install a high flow cat. The first O2 sensor is located in a single primary tube, so it isn't as representative of your engine as if exposed to exhaust from all cylinders, but it tends to work fine.

I definitely got a bump in power due to the header. It made the sound significantly louder, but I have no problem with that because race car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N41aziA32YM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlT8FscngII

Intake-

The only company that makes a purpose built intake for the Accent is Cosmo Racing. All they did was start selling their 99 Eclipse non-turbo intake as an Accent intake after people told them it fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330741756128

But get a better filter for it, I like K&N filters, some people prefer an AEM Driflow or AMSOIL.

Strut bars-

The Evofusion bars are fine.

Rear bumper-

There are a few options but they won't really go with the body very well unless you have the entire body kit.

Evofusion Y2 Kit

Carzone Apex Kit

Suspension-

Suspension is the same from 2000-2005 Accents, and largely interchanges with earlier Accents with a few exceptions.

Turbo-

There is no good complete kit, you would either have to learn a lot or pay a shop a lot of money to do it for you. Turbosocks could help you source turbo parts, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Beta swap-

If you're interested follow HotBlue02's DIY.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Intake-

The only company that makes a purpose built intake for the Accent is Cosmo Racing. All they did was start selling their 99 Eclipse non-turbo intake as an Accent intake after people told them it fit.

I bought a Cosmo intake for my 04 Accent. It didn't fit. Save your money.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004/Hyundai/Accent

Originally Posted by pas1216
I bought a Cosmo intake for my 04 Accent. It didn't fit. Save your money.

If you see earlier posts, they are recommending me to purchase the 99 Eclipse Non turbo intake...

Are you saying that it didn't fit in the 2004 Hyundai Accent?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 187sks
I'm going to reiterate that you'll never pass inspection in California with a header or an intake. Also can't with a turbo. Or a missing catalytic converter. A Beta swap is possible to do legally though.

Header-

A header replaces the factory exhaust manifold. The factory exhaust manifold has an integral catalytic converter. There are bungs for your oxygen sensors on the header and on the down pipe, but there is supposed to be a catalytic converter between the two. There are ways to fool the second O2 sensor, or you can do like me and install a high flow cat. The first O2 sensor is located in a single primary tube, so it isn't as representative of your engine as if exposed to exhaust from all cylinders, but it tends to work fine.

I definitely got a bump in power due to the header. It made the sound significantly louder, but I have no problem with that because race car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N41aziA32YM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlT8FscngII

Intake-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330741756128

But get a better filter for it, I like K&N filters, some people prefer an AEM Driflow or AMSOIL.

Strut bars-

The Evofusion bars are fine.

Rear bumper-

There are a few options but they won't really go with the body very well unless you have the entire body kit.

Evofusion Y2 Kit

Carzone Apex Kit

Suspension-

Suspension is the same from 2000-2005 Accents, and largely interchanges with earlier Accents with a few exceptions.

Turbo-

There is no good complete kit, you would either have to learn a lot or pay a shop a lot of money to do it for you. Turbosocks could help you source turbo parts, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Beta swap-

If you're interested follow HotBlue02's DIY.

187sks

Sorry for the late reply... I had a family emergency to take care of..

Yes it is very clear that with all these changes to the Car, it will not pass smog inspection in California.... because Im assuming that when you say it won't pass inspection, Its smog inspection correct? Well actually this is a problem I can avoid. I know people here at a local shop that will give you a passing evaluation for a fee..

I will need some guidance with the oxygen sensors.. Could you please tell me more? From what I understand there are 2 Oxygen Sensors in the car? One needs to be fooled and the other shouldn't be much of a problem? By fooling it, what do you mean?

Headers: Do you recommend me to do as you did, an install a high flow cat? If so were could I purchase one for my 2004 Accent?

Is this high flow cat separate from the cat back system. I mean is it another component or a replacement component? By directly installing the headers and new cat back system, besides not passing the inspection, are there any other downsides to not have a catalytic converter? Could the car run smooth with no problem without one?

Intake: Is the intake a direct fit, someone else told me it didn't fit in this thread.... Regardless Ill take your word. You did give me a link on eBay, very helpful, but will order a K&N filter.

Strut Bars: Sounds good

Rear Bumper: By the prices it seems I won't be purchasing one. Will have to stick with the stock rear bumper

Rear Sway Bar: Your recommendation was for a 2003 Accent, but you told me that the suspension varies little so It would go ahead and fit into a 2004 Accent correct?

Turbo and Beta Swap: These Mods seem to require extensive knowledge to proceed with them, something I lack as of right now.... Not to mention expensive too... Maybe a little later.. as I start to gain more understanding and gain some hands on experience.

Is there something else Im forgetting?

Thank you very much for your help bud... Im grateful to have found someone reliable who has taken the time to guide someone with little knowledge.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by OTECTom
2.0L SWAP, NUFF SAID!

I would suggest staying away from headers unless you want to make your exhaust loud. I have them on my 2.0 Tiburon, and it is very loud, but gave minimal performance gains.

I am also running KYB AGX's I don't know if they're available for the accent, but they handled my 1.75" drop very well and offer 4 stiffness settings.

2.0 Beta Swap?

Ive been told to follow HotBlue02's DIY.

It seems very labor intensive, expensive, and requires car and engine knowledge, which Im starting to grasp and take.... Id love to do it some time later though...

Thanks

What other recommendations to you have?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

187sks

Sorry for the late reply... I had a family emergency to take care of..
No problem, I hope it worked out okay.

I will need some guidance with the oxygen sensors.. Could you please tell me more? From what I understand there are 2 Oxygen Sensors in the car? One needs to be fooled and the other shouldn't be much of a problem? By fooling it, what do you mean?

Headers: Do you recommend me to do as you did, an install a high flow cat? If so were could I purchase one for my 2004 Accent?

Is this high flow cat separate from the cat back system. I mean is it another component or a replacement component? By directly installing the headers and new cat back system, besides not passing the inspection, are there any other downsides to not have a catalytic converter? Could the car run smooth with no problem without one?
There is a front and rear O2 sensor. The front needs to be before the cat, the rear needs to be after the cat. Honestly, if you can get around the inspection issues I would order the Evofusion header and catback together and bolt them onto your car. This will replace 100% of your exhaust, but you will have no cat. If you don't get a check engine light, I wouldn't bother with anything else. If you get a CEL, I would use an O2 sensor spacer on the rear O2 sensor, that fools it into thinking there is a cat installed. The high flow cat is something that you would buy separately, and they're not that cheap. If you buy one you will need to have it welded into the exhaust system. It only has 2 benefits, it helps ensure that you don't get a CEL, and it helps not pollute the environment. The car will run fine without it.

Intake: Is the intake a direct fit, someone else told me it didn't fit in this thread.... Regardless Ill take your word. You did give me a link on eBay, very helpful, but will order a K&N filter.
Many people have installed the 99 Eclipse non-turbo CAI. with no issues. Since it isn't really meant for the Accent if they change the design it is possible that it won't fit. Everyone I have heard of with a manual transmission has had no fitment issues with a wide variety of CAI's designed for the Eclipse.

Rear Sway Bar: Your recommendation was for a 2003 Accent, but you told me that the suspension varies little so It would go ahead and fit into a 2004 Accent correct?
2003-2005 Accent suspension is identical. It will fit perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help bud... Im grateful to have found someone reliable who has taken the time to guide someone with little knowledge.
No problem! Hope your Accent makes you as happy as mine have!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

The Cosmo intake is the one that didn't fit on my manual 04 Accent. Never tried an Eclipse intake though, if others say it will fit, I would take their word for it but don't waste your money on a Cosmo one. I'm currently running a short ram intake off e-bay. It works and I love the sound.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 187sks
No problem, I hope it worked out okay.

There is a front and rear O2 sensor. The front needs to be before the cat, the rear needs to be after the cat. Honestly, if you can get around the inspection issues I would order the Evofusion header and catback together and bolt them onto your car. This will replace 100% of your exhaust, but you will have no cat. If you don't get a check engine light, I wouldn't bother with anything else. If you get a CEL, I would use an O2 sensor spacer on the rear O2 sensor, that fools it into thinking there is a cat installed. The high flow cat is something that you would buy separately, and they're not that cheap. If you buy one you will need to have it welded into the exhaust system. It only has 2 benefits, it helps ensure that you don't get a CEL, and it helps not pollute the environment. The car will run fine without it.

Many people have installed the 99 Eclipse non-turbo CAI. with no issues. Since it isn't really meant for the Accent if they change the design it is possible that it won't fit. Everyone I have heard of with a manual transmission has had no fitment issues with a wide variety of CAI's designed for the Eclipse.

2003-2005 Accent suspension is identical. It will fit perfectly.

No problem! Hope your Accent makes you as happy as mine have!

187sks

Well parts have started to come in! The springs the struts and the intake have arrived!

Your explanation of the headers and cat system have made it really clear! Awesome! Thanks!

The intake came in and with it the air filter! Your suggestion to switch to A K&N filter, led me to see some stores where they only had the K&N universal 3 inch, but the one that came in with the intake system is a 2.5 inch I believe.....so will this one be okay?? Would this one fit perfectly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Universa...#ht_3325wt_960

Inside the box came the general installation guide....everything seems very straight forward except, the section on Resetting the ECU! It says to be completed at my own risk. This resets the ECU so that It will learn the new in take system for better performance. But their not liable for mishaps of course..

Their instructions say: 1st) Disconnect the negative batter cable for 2 hours. 2nd) Reconnect the battery cable and false panel cover.

Do i go on ahead and do this? What do I Do? Is it recommended? Do I have too?

I will look into the rear sway bar you recommended, but I also found these on ebay? What do you think? Are they worth it? Would you suggest making the purchase?

Is this strut bar better than from the one I showed you earlier?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280744214614...ht_2816wt_1188

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170760834102...ht_4243wt_1202

When the car is finally lowered and before I go and take the car to get its alignment, what size rims do you recommend to go along with the drop? In other words whats the biggest size I can go without affecting other parts or having to purchase anything to make them fit?

For a high flow cat, where could I purchase one?

Thank you again, for all your help. I really look forward to your advice and guidance.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

That ECU reset should be perfectly safe, and I would do it.

Glad to see you're making progress!