Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

1st gen BBTB for 1.5L sohc accent

Old 08-06-2001, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen BBTB for 1.5L sohc accent

Has anyone ever got the Best tuning throttle body for a elantra, the 55mm one? I did and it ended up giving my accent way too much air and caused the check engine light to come on, tripping the TPS sensor. It kept stalling out all the time. Unfortunately I had to take the throttle off and put the stock throttle on, my car runs fine now. Just wondering if anyone ever had success with this throttle. Its weird because unlike the stock throttle, which is 2" in diameter, then bores down to 1" then back to 2", the Best throttle is a 2" hole all the way through, matching up perfectly with the intake penelum so I didden't need to bore it out. Im afraid to even put the 4-1 header on cause I wonder if that will make me loose HP as well, since none of these products have a real dyno result like honda or acura aftermarket parts, I wonder half the time if some companies just schlep off cheap un-proven products to hyundai owners. If anyone has any constructive input on this let me know, cause right now I took all the aftermarket parts I have off my accent.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The BTB should work fine with your engine.

The TPS is the Throttle position sensor. It is a simple reostat that translates throttle butterfly position into a signal the ECU can read, so the ECU knows what you want the engine to do.

The CEL should be normal for a while with a BTB. Your ECU has to learn that your engine is actually getting more air than it is used to seeing, so needs to learn to dump the fuel. I would put it back on and try it out for about 2 weeks. the ECU should learn your driving habits long before then, but that will give all the CEL's a chance to clear out.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:22 PM

Ok, well I took it off for that and the fact that it wouldn't start anymore. The last CEL I got was a 'crankcase position sensor" error, I reset it using OBD-2 scantool software/hardware, and put the stock one back on. After a while I will give it one last shot. Im skeptical now though, but thanks smile.gif
Old 08-07-2001, 03:39 AM

i just recentley had a crankshaft position sensor problem. The dealership replaced it and haven't had a problem yet. My car also wouldn't start a few times. Luckily for me it did because I was in Pa at the compact power jam. Would have been a fun trip home if it didn't start up again. BTW shaun are you gonna be able to make it this sunday now?
Old 08-07-2001, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by hyundaituner:
Ok, well I took it off for that and the fact that it wouldn't start anymore. The last CEL I got was a 'crankcase position sensor" error, I reset it using OBD-2 scantool software/hardware, and put the stock one back on. After a while I will give it one last shot. Im skeptical now though, but thanks smile.gif</div>

The TB should not affect the Crank Position Sensor/Crank in any way. Something screwy is going on.....I would re-intall the BTB and see if the error returns. If so, I would love to trouble shoot this with you. your CPS should not be thrown outta wack by a TB change....
Old 08-07-2001, 05:15 AM

Wit,
unfortnately no, I have to find out if I can order a CPS from the web to install it myself, the dealer in my area is 50 miles away from me, in hampton, NH, and they flat out SUCK!!! I have taken my car down there now in one year 6 times, each for somethin new, each costing me money, and I lost work time as well and my employer honestly can't have me takin a day off to have my car fixed every month. I want this puppy to work again, I get so depressed lately cause it gives me so many problems, so I gotta find a new sensor and replace it, then I will re-install the TB, and probably order a new TPS and then do it over again. Wit, im sorry bout not bein able to make it, I was so psyched to go down there and show off my ride, but its bein a pain, so I won't be able to. Next time though, hopefully if there is one!
Old 08-07-2001, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

St. Charles Auto will deliver your part to your door at 15% off Hyundai Dealer prices.

I don't think you need a new CPS. If so, the CPS error would be on now! But it only comes on with the BTB...so something is going phunky there, we need to troubleshoot what it is.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-07-2001, 07:43 AM

no prob. Check out the thread though, he's willing to reschedule so everyone can be there.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:44 AM

I will reschedule.
Here is my current setup. I put the stock TB in, stock air box with fresh fram filter. Took the snorkel off though to get some extra HP.
The car starts up fine in the morning, idles at around 1500rpm then goes to 1 after a few min. Driving on the road, normal speed around 45 55mph then coming to a stop, at a idle again, the needle on my autometer tach dips down a little below 1 and if I don't keep my foot on the gas to bring the rpm's up a bit, then the car will just die, restart and drive again. Its not consistant though, say drive a bit, come to a stop and idle and it dies, nope, its random. The throttle body has been freshly cleaned, and I have a new gasket installed, and I have checked for leaks already and none are present.
No CEL's are evident either, no CPS error to boot which is good. Im getting new wires from KORE very soon, and I will replace my sparkplugs as well, I use NGK. After I do that and still don't see a improvement in this situation, I guess its back to the dealership unfortunately, and another day off from work....
-shaun
PS: thx for all your help guys, I really appreciate it! 2nd and 3rd opinions always help!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by hyundaituner:
...nope, its random</div>

Great...now it's my fault!