HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Won't Crank, But this seems a little different.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Tuscon
Default Won't Crank, But this seems a little different.

So everything seems to work except it doesn't want to start when I turn the key. SOLUTION? - Pull the starter relay and insert spade terminals into starter in and starter out, run cable thru' the window to a hand-held switch on the passenger seat!!! (I'm mobile but not happy!!)

Everything checks out, relay works, fuses, control ground. ONLY THING is that there seems to be only 11+V on the control input to the relay!! Will 11V operate starter relay? Is that my problem? Where to look next?

I am posting this here because it will be the same across many models. mine is 2007 Tucson 2.6 AWD with an after-market alarm (Compustar)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:02 PM

Sorry, should have said starter relay not solenoid
Old 08-20-2020, 09:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Strange problem. Hmm....grounds number one. Maybe the relay isn't getting sufficient voltage from the ignition switch to open. Check those wires and grounds if possible.

​​I had a bad ignition switch once. Tough thing to diagnose. If you can somehow bypass the signal wire from the ignition switch to the relay and give it a full 12v to see if that relay will work

If it's cheap enough, you could swap a new one in. Mine was pretty easy to replace in the Tib. Not sure how hard it is in a Tuscon.

Also, be sure to address the obvious first. Good battery, good grounds, good alt.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:11 PM

Tried a few things everything checks out but the 11V constant on the control side of the relay is a worry. Wired a remote switch to the starter sides of the relay and starts just fine. I was fine with that while I wait for a new relay until...

Got hold of the Alarm guy;he says the relay should operate all the way down to 9.1V - you can test it with a 9V battery. Yeah, it clicks!! So I pull it apart and the points look good and they are closing - I get continuity with 9V.

Time to start over? Pull the cover and my patch. Ground is good. Put my meter on the control "in" side and turn on the ignition, get 11someV. Turn it off and notice I still have voltage - 10.25V. Turn the ignition off, check my meter connections, ignition on - 10.25V! Turn to "Start" - 12V!!!! Check it all with a second meter, put the relay back in, turn the ignition........ STARTS FIRST TURN!!

Is this just a bad dream? If I have 10.25V it should crank as I insert the relay?

I can accept that I was sidetracked by the corroded contacts but none of this is making sense to me. Obviously I need to bypass the Park/Neutral switch - I think I know how to get at that. And then there is the ignition switch itself. That's going to be a bitch!!

First things first.. I put the relay back in (cover off), ignition in "run" 10.25V across the control circuit BUT the points are still open. Turn the key and the car starts. So I have 10.25V but not enough amperage to operate the coil? The control circuit could be draining the battery. Oh Dear....

Okay, let's ignore the drain problem. It hasn't been a problem except when we had been away for a couple of months 2 years ago. Maybe I actually used that much just testing?? So it will drain if the relay is in there but we can deal with that later.

So I think that the 11V on the control side, when I turn the key must also be too little amperage to activate the relay. Then sometimes I am getting the full amperage (ergo 12V) and it starts.

So the relay is fine. I can replace the PARK switch but I don't think that is the problem; The ignition switch might be causing it with a very bad contact but most likely is the alarm system? That's money 'cause I can't do that myself and the local dealer didn't install it so not too pleased to service it!! It's an aftermarket alarm system, so maybe cheaper that Hyundai to fix?

It is (not) nice to be different!!! I'll keep you posted...
Old 08-21-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Sounds to me that you are on to it. You keep playing with the relay and the ignition switch and getting results there. My guess is it could be a combination of both a less-than-consistent relay and ignition switch. I'd replace both. Yep, it's a little bit of time and effort, but at least you'll know those parts are good, or at least should be good.

The alarm system could also be a culprit. It's going to cut power to your ignition switch. If you want to test for it, trace back the wire from you ignition switch to the alarm control box. They are not as complicated as you think. If you can replace a stereo, you can install an alarm.

Do a quick rewire so your ignition switch isn't bypassed through the alarm and see if that works.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 PM

If you have been following this thread you will have noticed that the problem (not cranking on IGN SW) had gone away before I could fix it. So not surprisingly, when I replace the Main Fuse, Relay and Ignition Switch - everything works just fine. Very difficult to fix a problem if you can't re-create it!
I still see 10.24V on the relay control side with the IGN in "Run". That might be normal? I have no Idea. We have experienced the problem of not cranking before but usually only momentary and so can't even say it was the same thing. Have to wait till it happens again. I just need to carry a piece of wire with me (always do anyway) and we'll be fine. If my wife gets stuck she has her phone and we have a truck as a 2nd vehicle partly because I don't like paying a Tow Truck!
The IGN SW is truly a 20 (30) min job. Take the crash panel off and the metal panel behind it. (WELL WORTH the few minutes it takes to do thyis!) Locate the switch - directly behind the key barrel, about 5 inches. Use a mirror to find the screw. I struggled to get the connector off the back because I mis-understood how the clip works. Just one clip and you need to find and depress the barb (arrrow head - don't knw what to call it) with a small prod or screwdriver to release it.
I still need to check out the alarm system!!!
Thanks to all the wonderful help from the great members on this forum. Hope this thread helps others and I will be back if I can add anything.
Thaniks Again.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:15 PM

BAD NEWS!!!
New relay, new IGN switch - left town for the week.l. Got 50 miles out and stopped to top up gas and get a coffee. WOULDN'T START!
Had to pull the new relay and start it with a pair of needle nose pliers! So the only thing left is the alarm system. I am trying to get it booked in to have that replaced. OBTW on the way back I realized that I hadn't tried turning the key for a while; so I tried it and IT STARTED! My wife is out now shopping - just waiting for it to stop working again.