HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Wiring problem?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo
Default Wiring problem?

Hi Everyone after couple months of trouble free Tib I was never expecting to be posting on this section for awhile. It started last night, I turn on the car warming up the engine for about 5 minutes then suddenly heard the engine running rough, I tried to drive it and it was stumbling and hesitating so I park the car and couple minutes of rough Idle my CEL turn on P0342(Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 •low input Wiring short to ground, CMP sensor, ECM) and P0302(Cylinder 2 •misfire detected Engine mechanical fault, wiring, ignitiion/fuel system, injector, ECT/MAF sensor, ECM).

I was suspecting that the FIC might have been bad again from getting wet of fuel leak that happen couple of weeks ago so I removed the FIC and plug the bypass wire the car still running rough so I tried to drive and and the engine stalled couple time when the car is on idle.

Today I reinstalled my FIC and all of the sudden it was running fine, I warm it up for couple minutes and drove the car it was running fine for a mile and suddenly I hear the engine start misfiring and there was no power my AFR went --- everytime I press on the gas, CEL was flashing so I park the car and check the Cel now there is another code P0204(Injector 4 •circuit malfunction Wiring, injector, ECM).

What I notice is that everytime the engine is in operating temperature that's when it start acting up, could this be the wirings where my FIC is connected? my FIC is installed on the engine bay right behind the Throttle body. I was guessing I might have pulled some wires off when I was trying to put the FIC in a box to make it water proof but it was hard reach and I been pulling of the wirings to get the FIC inside the box.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

So you have a car that runs with the FIC, until it warms up and then it runs like poo with various CELs, or runs not at all with the OEM computer?

When it warms up the temperature sensors are changing their outputs, maybe you have something funky in the maps or bad sensors? What else changes when the car is warmed up? The thermostat maybe? How does it make the car run bad to have a bad thermostat, but the sensors are part of the fueling system. It's not too terribly hard to check temperature sensors.

Cliffs: I got no real idea but bump because this sucks.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I had this same things, it was all becuase i didn't seat the wiring harness on the Fic corectly and wasnt making a full connection to the Fic, Make sure your connectors are on tight and not loosely!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM

@Stocker: it runs with the OEM computer but still rough and stall at idle

@Turboron: connections are tight on the FIC

My plugs and wires are new, the tuner regapped my plugs to .025 is there a chance the plugs might got bad in couple days?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

That's a pretty tight gap but if it runs it runs. Easy enough to check a spark plug gap!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Will I got some update for you guys since I'm really suspecting that the problem is in the wires connecting the FIC, I have decided to put everything back and move the FIC harness inside the cabin where it suppose to be the first place. When I was removing all the tape on the FIC harness I found that one wire from the FIC connector came loose, could that be the whole cause of this issue? The wire was injector 2 input, I push it back and and I heard it click. I havent turn on the car yet since I'm planning to finish removing the FIC harness and move it inside the car.

Here's the progress trying to remove the FIC Harness:

Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

An intermittent wire connection can do any strange thing you can imagine. Here's hoping that was it. I'd recommend holding off moving anything else until you get it all sorted, but it's your car.