HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

weird electrical problem

Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default weird electrical problem

Ok here is the deal,Been having battery drainage problems for awhile now. I have a aem f/ic,boost guage, and a aem afr wideband, I wired all of these at about the same time....when I turn the key to just on or acc it powers up and my iac starts running, then when I turn the key to off the iac stays running,(Im sure other sensors may be running aswell). but if I start the car then turn it off the iac stops running like its suppose to.I also unhooked my car alarm since it was also draining the battery.(backup batt. went dead after four years)

Any Ideas? bad ground somewhere? I just cant figure out why it stays running. I checked the wiring on the aem fic over and over countless times and are all good..Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Accent

what kind of alarm is it. Have you gone through that wiring. My friends alarm and immobilizer were acting up, made his car do some weird things. turns out the installer had no idea what he was doing. I don't know much myself about alarms but I would check that wiring over.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

I think its the astra 777 model, dont know much if anything about car alarms, I just know it was pulling alot of juice from my battery, so I took the small batt. out and it was dead, and I took out the fuse of the alarm, I could check all my wiring from it, could have a bad ground somewhere or short keeping my sensors running..?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

So your IAC stays running after you pull the key out?

That sounds like like you might have some issues with your ignition wiring or something like your alarm having a short creating a loop from your always hot power over to your only when key is on power allowing power to flow with the ignition off.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Yes that is correct. I uninstall the car alarm completely but still does it. Ill check with the aem fic ignition wire I guess..but the weird thing is if I start the car then shut it off everything is good, but when just on, not started, then to off, take the key out its still going..driving me nuts

EDIT** I just undid the harness on the fic and it solved the problem.. may be the ignition wire from the fic.. might try to hook it up to a different power source
Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 AM

""UPDATE""

My problem was the piggyback itself. It was the o2 sensors setting in the map.. I had it skewing at 15 psia which is fine but not at 0 rpm. I changed everything to zero on zero rpm. Its kinda weird nobody ever had this problem since I got the maps off of turbosocks section from aem f/ic radu's maps....
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

I have semilar problem but mine comes and goes, got problem with my gauges and radio. I notice it only happens when its cold out when I remove my keys my gauges stays on and with my radio the displays won't show up when the car is on weird.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM

hmm, that is weird. as for the gauges how do you have them powered?grounded? and is it all gauges or some of them(stock,aftermarket)?

So does your radio still work?Is its when just on "on" or with engine running to?

Check your piggyback make sure you dont have somewhat the same problem I had..
Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 AM

still having same problems, but it wont do it when my laptop is hooked up to the fic. I have another dead battery and its not keeping charged. its my third batt. and these things are expensive. I just dont know what to look for anymore.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I have this same problem. I don't have my FIC map with me but i'm pretty sure its set to percent and all zeros (no turbo right now for emissions). it's not really a big issue for me since i'm not even using the IAC but it does it with the fans sometimes too. if i start the car then shut it off everything shuts off like it should. i might try using the bypass harness to see if it is related to the FIC.