HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

wind sound when sunroof is open

Old 11-04-2001, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind sound when sunroof is open

while i was driving home yesterday at night, my stock tweeter was making this weird buzzing sound. with further experimenting and testing, I found out that this only happens when the sunroof is open or if a window is open. the noise is more prevalent when the sun roof is open rather than with just the window open. So now I believe that this is related to a trim problem. Somehow air is leaking through the body and making this piecing sound coming from the general direction of the passenger right front dash. does anyone know of this problem, or is it new? This just happened yesterday.
Please help, I hate this sound and I can't drive over 60mph with the sunroof tilted open anymore. I was thinking that it was related to the passenger side mirror, (cause i was in a accident, and the bolts were loose) but that didn't seen to solve it.

HELP!!!!
Old 11-05-2001, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

which tweeter makes the noise? left or right?

Which side was the accident on? Left or right?

Are you sure it is the tweeter and not some kind of engine/road vibration causing the noise?

Why only over 60mph? That's weird...it should happen at a lower speed on a rougher road if it was trim rubbing.

I'm wondering if the grommet between the passenger compartment and the outside now has a bad seal...so it is "blowing or sucking" air and the sound you hear is the vibration of the rubber grommet. That would explain why 60 MPH...and should get worse/louder on a windy day or if you pass another vehicle on that side of the car.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:41 AM

it is the side of the accident, the right side. At first I thought it was the tweeter, but the sound only comes when the sunroof is open. I really think a seal is broken, but I don't know where. because the sound shift tones when cruising over 60 mph (with the sunroof open).
Random where would that seal you mentioned be located?
Old 11-06-2001, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The seal I am talking about is the grommet betweent the front fender well and the passenger comaprtment. There are actually 2 grommets there. The same sound SHOULD happen if you lower the passenger side window down and turn on the blower to allow fresh air in.

or...does opening the windows and the sunroof affect the noise at all?
Old 11-07-2001, 02:44 PM

the sound happens when the sunroof is open. I will look for the grommet when i have time. The noise seems to lessen when i open the side windows though. weird
Old 11-08-2001, 10:37 PM

When the sunroof is open, the pressure inside the cabin is lowered (Bernoulli's principle), this could be sucking in air through the grommet that random is referring to, the door seal, or the window seal. Also check the side mirror assembly and see if the noise is coming through there (that's pretty close to the tweeter).

good luck,
ac

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Curtas ]
Old 11-08-2001, 11:31 PM

Also what might be causing the noise is there are two clear drain tubes that one run down each window pillar and run right by the tweeter and when the sunroof is open air can be getting in to the drain tubes thus making a whistling noise I know it did it on mine I just tinkered with the tubes alittle and it went away.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:19 AM

how would you tinker with the tubes? how would you reach them?
Old 11-09-2001, 07:20 AM

You have to take the two plastic cover panels off that cover the pillar inbetween the metal you will see them. And if you open the sunroof you will see where they start. I just kept moving mine and twisting them till the sound went away and it did. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:32 PM

ok, now how do you take off the plastic covers to the column. how hard is it?