HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Wierd ... SCARY noise

Old 04-02-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Wierd ... SCARY noise

Hey ... I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Since my car was new ... under hard acceleration and hard braking I get a really LOUD "clunk" from what sounds like the front drivers side.

I've had it at the dealership numerous times about this and "nothing seems wrong" but to me that noise is not normal ...

If I had to guess I would say that it sounds like the spring or strut is making that noise ... but how can I tell .. and has anyone else had this issue?
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 PM

check your control arm (I think that's what it is called) and check your ball joint. I had the same problem and found I had a bad ball joint but when I was taking the control arm off, one of the bolts was about halfway out....causing the noise that I had.....
Old 04-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

can you "feel" the "thunk" in the brake pedal or steering wheel?

When you say "since new"...do you mean since the day you drove it off the dealer's lot? Or shortly thereafter? If it was after, do you have aftermarket wheels on? If so, do you have hubcentric adapters for them?

Have you jacked up the car and checked the bolts/nuts around the drivers side suspension/strut/swaybar/a-arm/ball joint/etc, etc.

[ April 02, 2003, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 04-03-2003, 02:16 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Since new as in yea ... the day I drove it off the lot ... I do have aftermarket wheels ... with the correct hubcentric rings ... but it isn't that ... cuz it does it while the stocks are on too ..
I've had the strut assembly apart and back together for adding lowering springs which have also come off It did it while they were on too.

I'll have the control arm and ball joint looked at ... anything else it could be?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:18 AM

You can look at the ball joint and control arms yourself.....just feel around the ball joint and make sure that boot isn't torn.....If your car doesn't jerk to the side everytime you hit a small difference in the road chances are that isn't it....but definatly check and make sure all your bolts are tight on your control arm....