HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

trans. problem

Old 10-04-2001, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans. problem

what's going on. this is my first post. just bought my tib a month ago, and it already has 2584 miles on it. i love to drive this thing. but lately it's been a pain in the ass to shift into first, second, and reverse. i have to play with it and sometimes just jam the thing in gear. i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem when they first got there car. i'm pretty sure it's just a simple adjustment they'll have to make. my tib is going in next week to get her fixed, so hopefully i'll be able to enjoy driving her again. -late
Old 10-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The tiburons have hydraulic clutches, so there are no "adjustments" to be made on the clutch.

The Shifter is a solid cable throw shifter. There are no adjustments in the design of the shifter.

Chances are you either have bad 1 and 2 syncro's (did it grind, or just not go in to gear period?), or something is wrong in the shift linkage that they need to replace.
Old 10-06-2001, 06:00 AM

no it really doesnt' grid, it's just a bitch to get into gear. it's like it's getting caught up on something. but when i play around with it throwing it into all the gears it goes in smoothly, then when i let off the clutch and press it back in it becomes a pain again.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:59 AM

it is hard to get in to FIRST and REVERSE.
the car will not allow you to do so when it's in motion(or it winn grind badly even with clutch in)
i have missed 2nd quite a few times...it's just little harder thatn 3,4,5
Old 10-07-2001, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Question...Is it ALWAYS hard to get into first and reverse...or only when the vehicle is moving?
Old 10-07-2001, 01:35 PM

random:
it's hard to shift about 99.8% of the time. no i'm not moving at all when i'm at a stop sign and i try to throw it in gear, it just doesn't go, i have to slam the bitch in. but lately i've noticed when i'm on a hill and i take off it's not that hard because the car is rolling back alittle, i don't know if that has any to do with it be easier.

Tunez:
yes it is brand new. 1 month and 7 days to be exact. i can't remember if it's been that hard to shift when i got it. but i did kinda beat on on the trans. due to the fact that this is my frist 5-speed, and it's fun as hell to drive.

i'm calling the service department first thing tomorrow morning to make an apointment to take it in and get the problem resolved, and hopefully i can get an answer of why that was happening. i'll let you guys know what the out come is. later
Old 10-08-2001, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

acidburn

When having problems getting into first gear...try this trick.

Push in the clutch fully to disengage the gear, and as you slide the shifter into 1st or Reverse, let up on the clutch a tad bit. This should allow the tranny to start spinning and spin the syncros (for 1st anyway) and should allow it to "Slip" into gear with next to no force required.