HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Ticking?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent
Default Ticking?

I've read a few ticking posts here, but mine's a little different.

When I start the car in cold to slightly chilly I get a ticking that speeds up with the RPM's, but stops around 3500-4000 RPMs. Or when it's really hot it's very loud when I start and doesn't stop till about 4000-4500 RPMs. Both way's I have to rev sharply while out of gear to stop it, and it doesn't usually start until after the car has been sitting a while (Mostly overnight).

Is it something I need to worry about.

BTW: I always change my oil somewhere between every 2500 mi to 3250. Depending on where the weekend falls.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

What oil filters are you running?

It's oil starvation to your HLA's. The reason free revving your engine helps is because it ups the oil pressure enough to fully inflate the HLA's.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM

QUOTE(187sks @ Apr 21 2009, 10:45 PM)
What oil filters are you running?

It's oil starvation to your HLA's. The reason free revving your engine helps is because it ups the oil pressure enough to fully inflate the HLA's.

You know I'd remember until you asked. It's the common orange w/ black grip thats sold everywhere.

What's best?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Administrator

You'll find the best results from the OEM Hyundai filters which can be bought for cheap straight from the dealer. Alternately I use the Wix filters which I am also very happy with. It sounds like you're using a Fram filter, and those are among the worst to run in a Hyundai. Those cause severe ticking on my Accent and I've heard the same from several other people.

I've also found that Royal Purple 10w30 synthetic oil gives me good results. I tried running a couple other synthetics and synthetic blends but they always ticked worse than dino oil. I've heard Amsoil works well also but I've never run it myself. Pretty much any dino 10w30 worked for me with OEM Hyundai filters.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Yea, I made the mistake of using a wal-mart brand filter once. No ticking, but huge loss in power. I ended up changing my oil twice that weekend.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Definitely sounds like your HLA's, or your running low oil pressure in general. When you get the ticking, and then it stops afte revving, check your oil dipstick and make sure you're not low. If it is, then chances are your car is burning some, and you're running low. It could also be a faulty oil pump too, but chances are minimum for that to happen.

I've used nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic since the very first day of owning the car. And I'm a freak...I change my oil every 2500 miles religiously, other than in the winter. I change it before I put it away for hibernation, and then again the day I bring it out. I try not to run the car or start it up too much during the cold months, because I hate the fact that the oil sits in the engine for 4-5 months at a time when I store the car.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent GS

I think I am having the same problem you are. I went to a Vavoline place ( first time I ever paid to get my oil change besides going to the dealer) Now it seems like I have lost power and ticking. Before oil this oil change I could hit 50mph in 2nd gear just over 5000rpm now I'm lucky to get up to 45mph just under 6000rpm. I know sometimes I beat the hell out of my car.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Do you have an automatic? If so your transmission is slipping. If not, your clutch is slipping. Either way, not good.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent GS

Doesn't feel like the clutch, still have a slight tick, but I think the power issue was the gas cause I filled up the other day now have no problem getting up to speed, lol kinda starting to wish something would go wrong with the engine so I have a good reason to do a beta swap. Wife dosen't understand why I should swap out engines when Mine only has 54k on it LOL.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent L

QUOTE(187sks @ Apr 22 2009, 05:01 AM)
You'll find the best results from the OEM Hyundai filters which can be bought for cheap straight from the dealer. Alternately I use the Wix filters which I am also very happy with. It sounds like you're using a Fram filter, and those are among the worst to run in a Hyundai. Those cause severe ticking on my Accent and I've heard the same from several other people.

I have a weak HLA from when I ran 0W30 synthetic several years ago (don't ask).

Floyd is dead on (don't have any experience with Wix though). OEM Hyundai filters are key to maintaining proper oil pressure to keep the lash adjusters from tapping. My head started leaking last year, I have to put a half quart in every 2 weeks, so I stopped buying the expensive oil. Just straight up, cheap 10W30. I'm averaging 700 miles a week, changing the oil around 6000 miles... (I can notice when the oil starts to "break down" when the ticks start coming).

Sidenote: Just rolled 225K... I'm going to hit a quarter million miles easily...