HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Stripping TPS Screws

Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Stripping TPS Screws

Hey my Tiburon needs a new Throttle Position Sensor and today i went to the junkyard to get one. There were 3 Hyundai's with the correct TPS and while attempting to remove the screws that hold it in place, I stripped them. I know that I am using the correct size screwdriver because I did get 2 screws loose on 2 different cars but then I stripped the others. My friend recommended putting a rubber band between the screw and the screwdriver but that did not seem to help. I would appreciate any help you can give me on how not to strip screws and/or how to remove the TPS without unscrewing it. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

place the screwdriver where the grooves were, and hit the handle with a hammer, try to make make grooves again and also try turning the screwdriver at the same time that you hit it. Other than that, drill it out.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 1994 Hyundai Excel Coupe

I used to have this problem with my civic last summer. I ended up using a dremel with a small cut off wheel to make a nice groove line on the top of the screw for a flat head screw driver. Drilling it out is always a pain...
Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hmm my tps has potential to be removed by a socket...any chance yours are bolts with the option of both. I was doing the same until I realized I was looking at it the wrong way.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys! And I don't know about the socket removal, they looked like normal screws to me but I will check again tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you stripped out THREE screws you were either using the wrong tool or you don't know WTH you are doing. Let's all agree you were using the wrong tool, and take more/different tools with you the next time.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM

And yes it is possible I was doing it wrong, but seeing as I got the first screw I tried out with no problem I assumed that I was doing it right but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think the best advice is to buy a better screwdriver. It makes a ton of difference even though they seem so simple. And push hard while you're trying to break it loose.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A gunsmithing joke:

Q: What is the difference between a turnscrew and a screwdriver?

A: About $40.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

One of my TPS weak screws started doing that which was most likely caused by me over tightening them so I just replaced them both with stronger screws and problem solved. Also if it is stripped try the dremel / cutoff wheel trick as said above to make it accept a flat head screw driver or I have have also had luck using vise grips and gripping the side of the screw since the head is pretty fat to loosen it enough to so you can remove it.

The OEM screws are on the weak side and do strip easily but next time watch for this happening and stop before it's too late and try a different tool.