HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

sticking steering wheel!!!

Old 11-25-2002, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticking steering wheel!!!

i noticed awhile ago that my steering column was making noise from inside the column itself...it also comes from under the dash as well....i took the dash apart but i dont know what i should do....i dont know wether or no to maybe grease it up or use some wd-40 on it or what because now its starting to stick!!! if you gently turning the wheel it feels like it gets caught on something and you have to tug on it to get it to move!!! any feed back would be great!!

[ November 25, 2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: ONLY1DB ]
Old 11-25-2002, 02:54 AM

I checked your profile, your driving a 2000. Something like that may still be covered under warranty. Go to your dealership and see what they have to say. It may have something to do with your power steering mechanism, or perhaps its internal, like something loose/tight in the steering column assembly.
But I wouldn't do anything unless you know what the consequences are going to be...
Old 11-25-2002, 06:19 AM

oh yeah i forgot that part....2000 tib w/ 90000 on it!! i dont think my dealer will care....i figured i would throw it up here to see if anybody had the same expierence with it as i did.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:36 AM

anybody???? its starting to get a little worse and i cant get into the dealer until monday!! arg!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:46 AM

What have you played with under there?

It could be a relay rattling back and forth... it could be a metal plate... it could be a lot of stuff

It could also be a loose dash...

Have you gotten an alarm installed? Neon license plate? anything electrical?

If so... they most likely had to screw around with the back side of the lower dash... were your rattle might be coming from

This is all just a guess.. i dont have enough clues to really guess what it is...
Old 11-26-2002, 08:18 AM

its not a loose dash because all the panel screws had the virgin crack when i took the dash apart....its seems like its in the steering column itself....i had the dash apart and all the plastic peices off and it still was sticking in particular areas....it will stick if you let the wheel go and let the wheel gently go around or if you are adjusting the wheel slightly....say like chaning lanes it will stick....so i dont have a clue...i know something is wrong because my wifes accent doesnt nearly feel as restrictive and its manual steering!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:17 AM

check the power steering belt and fluid
Old 12-03-2002, 07:10 AM

ya know what...i did that the other day and hte belt looked shot...so when i took my car in they topped off and replaced all the belts...i even had the tranny oil swaped....still didnt help my grinding issue...but the steering wheel is pretty much fixed! i cant believe that i didnt think of it before hand....who knows! it shows what finals will do to ya.