HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

startup issue

Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default startup issue

Spent too long at this, my brain hurts...it may have to come out...

Trying to fire up the engine after the rebuild and drop in...started when I pulled it out...and it will not catch.

There is spark, crank sensor tested good, fuel pump runs when direct 12v is applied, fuel relay works when pulled and tested to the 12v.

But, turn the key to the on position and nothing. No click at the relay, no fuel pump noise. I assure you that reaching the relay while turning the key is quite a feat in its own.

Checked and re attached the FIC, tried different relays, no change. The only thing I haven't tried is jumping the relay to try and get the fuel pump running. And the only reason why I haven't is that there are no stores that carry fuse holders and switches that are open today.

Any insight would be grand, as every Google search I have tried for the last three days has been a dead end... either the ckp was bad, which is not the case here, or no conclusion to any of the threads which started on a similar premise.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

You're gonna need a helper. Remove the relay. Test for power at the energizing leg of the relay socket on crank. If there's power, test the ground leg. If there's no power, check for power at the ECM pin.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Turns out to be an ecu issue. When I jumped the relay she struggled, and, after a bit, fired up. Went to the local dealership and asked about the issue and was told that the ecu was at fault.

However also found that it is a pretty much 100% duty cycle for the fuel pump when the engine is running so I may be able to avoid the requiring a new ecu for now.

But found a few new leaks that need to get addressed before I can take her out.