HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Starting issues

Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Default Starting issues

Hi everyone, first post on here after being recommended to this forum. I've been doing some reading and lurking and now I need to get some advice.

Last week I bought a 2008 Tiburon GT. 25k miles, single owner. Almost brand new condition. I had a 2003 in the past and LOVED it but it got washed away in a hurricane and I made the poor choice not to replace it.

Everything seems perfect on it other than when I go to start it after it's been sitting awhile. It always starts, I'll get that out there now, but sometimes it takes maybe a full 2 seconds or so to roll over. Sometimes it'll kick over with minimal effort and others it sounds like it's going to just stay dead right there and then it finally rolls over.

I've tried a few things to see if it was me. I've played with the positioning of the clutch to see if it was sensitive in other areas instead of fully depressed and I've turned the electronics on first and let the radio/ac/etc get started and then tried to crank. Neither option seems to alleviate the issue.

Any thoughts on this? It's practically brand new, I don't understand what it could be at this stage of the game.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Welcome to HyundaiAftermarket!

My first thought is the car may still be under factory warranty, so consult your local dealership.

Second thought is your fuel system is leaking down pressure from somewhere. Test this by leaving the key in the RUN position for a few seconds before putting it to START when it would usually take a few seconds longer to start. It should start right up. It could be any of several things, from leaky injectors to bad valves. The important point is that it always gets you from A to B, and if it keeps starting this is not THAT bad a problem. If you have leaking injectors the engine oil will be contaminated over time, so check the oil (at the dipstick or oil change if a change is due) for smelling like gas after it sits overnight.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

Well, last night was the first night it didn't start on the first try. It started right up after that but definitely something that's going to be an issue. I'm going to check with the dealer on Monday and see if it's still covered under warranty.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Final update

Took it to the dealer to get checked out. They said what it seems like is that during the pre-sale clean up someone likely power washed the engine, causing some water to get trapped under the seals of my #3 cylinder, causing a misfire.

All should be well now