HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Sparks flying everywhere!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

I figured it'd be something inside that timing cover that was building static as it rotated, since after I turn the car off I can still get one good spark off the crank pulley by touching metal near/to it. After that discharge it is fine until I crank the engine over and/or let it run a few seconds. The fact that we are having similar issues after messing around with the timing belt really really makes me feel like static buildup is a very logical explanation. Now, to see if I can get the shop to take a look at it for no charge, since it was done months ago, will be another feat!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 AM

So fellow bug zapper - where did you get your parts when you did your timing belt change? I'm wondering if this fix may be as simple as swapping over to factory Hyundai stuff ?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent

Well, I got mine from Autozone. So perhaps switching to OEM would help, I dunno. At this point, since the beta swap is forthcoming, I'm not to concerned; I just bolted an extra block-to-chassis ground on and let it bleed off!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM

QUOTE (magus_arcana @ Aug 7 2009, 11:03 AM)
Well, I got mine from Autozone. So perhaps switching to OEM would help, I dunno. At this point, since the beta swap is forthcoming, I'm not to concerned; I just bolted an extra block-to-chassis ground on and let it bleed off!

If I recall correctly my parts were from Autozone too....I also put a ton of extra high quality grounds but it has not made a difference. Has yours stopped with the grounding now that a month has passed?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok question time

does it have a/c?
the spark goes between the crank pulley and the firewall...but doesnt touch the frame rail or the motor mount?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM

I have no AC. Spark ONLY goes from pulley to oil pan, or if I were to hold a metal tool near the crank pulley, even after car is shut off, it'll discharge a single spark over to the tool. That is why I believe it is some type of static charge and not a normal electrical issue. It occurs only after the motor has rotated a few times, and once discharged it is done (unless motor is running, where it will apparently 'recharge')