HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

road noise..or other?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon
Default road noise..or other?

Hey all,

I currently have an 01 tib, I previously had a 97. I remember a lot of comments about the early tibs having a bit of engine, and road noise going into the cabin. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me, or I have simply forgotten how loud it is...

The issue is that it seems my cabin is a bit louder than I remember. The "growl" rises and falls with the rpm. I do know that the engine is stock. No CAI/ mods. I also know that my front tires are older, and lets just say not premium tires, and most likely hard, long lasting cheap tires. ( bought as a stop gap, till I save up for a quality set, all around)

Anyways, just wondering if it may be the older/ harder tires with road noise, or something other...

No grinding, shimmy, or anything "not right" feeling. A buddy said maybe its transmission fluid that could be low.? If so, how to check?

hope this makes sense...lol, im not a morning person. I will add additional info if needed. thx!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

I know the RD tibs (97-01) are notorious for having the wheel bearings go bad. Is it a constant sound or change when you turn right/left? Granted this might not be the case but is something to check into.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

i've had my wheel bearings go bad and it was really LOUD. it sounded as if the tib were chewing on rocks.

anyway, it might not be wheel bearings as your sound rises and falls depending on RPM. maybe check your exhaust?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well, does the noise get louder on the freeway?

low rpms @ freeway speed and noises that get louder are rotational noises typically
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If a noise comes and goes with engine speed, it's from something rotating at engine speed. Somewhere between the flywheel and the valvetrain, to include all the engine-driven accessories. It could be normal. Are there any members nearby who could lend an ear? Maybe post an audio or video clip?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the help, and fast responses!

I believe it may be the bearings, as previously mentioned. I am thinking for a few reasons.

.turning left or right at slow speeds, a very "soft" warble feeling happens...like some sections of a freeway or bridge, where you can feel the tires going over the road sections.

very quiet lower rpms, but gets louder the faster I go. (AND is a seperate noise from the engine)

I will jack up the front today, and see if I can give the tires/ wheels a shake, and an listen for crunchies/grinding. Will report back with my findings.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also examine the joints in the axles.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Minor update.

I finally spooned on fresh rubber, on all 4 wheels this weekend. It definitely wasn't the old tires. Sound is not consistant with RPM. Just the speed I am traveling.

(I am used to working motorcycles. Somethings i am not used to seeing, or doing on a regular auto..some but not all.)

If I jack the front end off the ground, I should be able to spin the wheels, or remove them, and test for crunchyness around an axle or something?

thx for the help/ replies.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

On mine, if you grabbed the top and bottom of the tire while the car was in the air there was a small amount of play/wobble.

I suspect you'll find the same. That's wheel bearings.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM

YUP it's the bearings. Hubs are good though. Here is the problem.

I can't remove the hub.

I have removed the nuts that connect the hub to 2 other control/steering components. I can't free the hub from the them though. It looks like I should be able to just push the threaded rods from both components.. but nothing gives play.

What am I missing? Anybody know of a tiburon hub video? I find all sorts of info of how to remove the bearing from the hub, but nothing about the hub from the car