HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

RD Tib Fan Trouble

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: RD2 Tib

Originally Posted by arnie
hello i had similair problems with the fan scwitching on after a while i found out it was the connector on the ecu the tensioner on the connector was not good i cleaned contacts and put the tensioner in the right position and the problem was solved it was an easy fix but hard to find hope your problems are the same hope it can help you kind regards arnie from holland

Thank you Arnie! I will have a look for any tensioners on the ECU, I hope it is easy to find what you mean! I will clean all connectors and see if it helps!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I think he means tension, like the wires are being pulled to tight.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Hello everyone, my car troubles continue...

Today was hot and very rainy. The car kept overheating, but I could always fix it by turning the heat on very high. I am thinking of wiring the fans to a switch in the dashboard, so I can turn the fans on manually below 60km/h or so. Good idea?

Also, the check engine light came on! I matched the code to the CEL list on these forums and it said:

- P0136 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1 •sensor 2circuit malfunction Heating inoperative, wiring, HO2S, ECM Oxygen sensor (O2S) 2, bank 1 •sensor 2 circuit malfunction Wiring, O2S, ECM

I need a new O2 sensor? Is this pre-cat or post-cat?

Also, at this time the emergency brake light on the dashboard kept turning on and off, but only with the headlights on. The car has full brake fluid (I checked just in case)

Also again, is it normal for the car to idle at 1200-1500rpm when coasting at a decent speed in neutral?

Is my Tib cursed?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Sounds like the downstream (after cat) 02 sensor to me. I would look at the wiring leaving both the 02 sensors to make sure there is no damage causing the issuses cause there seems to somethin throwin your car out of wack and I suspect damageg or melted wires.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

a TEMPORARY switch to run the fans is not a horrible idea. Short-term only. Fix whatever is wrong, these cars are simple!

"Hanging" engine speed is not a horrible problem, but my car does it sometimes and it is a slight bother.

You might be interested to know that the shop and electrical manuals for the RD platform are all online, free. Use INTERNET EXPLORER ( ) and go to http://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ sign up for a free account and go look at

Shop > TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine Mechanical System > Cooling System >

DTC > TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > DTC - P0130, P0136 > Diagnostic Procedure
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Oh wow, this hyundaitechinfo site is great! I thought it was just for folks in the US :biggrin:

I found this lovely diagram, but what does it mean? http://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/data/...G/b6ha022a.gif

I think you need to be a mechanic to make sense of these flowcharts

With regards to the DTC engine light there, this manual keep saying "a. Coolant temperature sensor: Normal." I guess I should check this sensor? I don't have any of these tools to test for voltage or ohms though If the overheating and the DTC light problems are related to the coolant temp sensor, maybe I should just replace it?

Oh, so I will be wiring the fans to a switch. This way the car will never overheat and I can use my AC again :biggrin:

I also had the crazy idea of disconnecting the passenger side washer fluid line and running it to in front of the radiator, so I can cool off the rad by running the washer fluid pump (think STi, but with slightly less HP)

Oh and to Stocker, the service manual mentions high idle speed in relation to this DTC code. Maybe something to look into?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Look into everything, beginning with stuff that is obviously related. You are missing something simple because these cars are simple. A basic hand-held multimeter from communist China will measure your volts and ohms for
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Lol! Thanks Stocker, I'll do some reading and look into a multimeter too I guess I can't put it off forever! I hate electrical stuff

Anyways I'll do the temporary switch thing for sure and maybe even my crazy windshield-washer-pump-to-the-rad idea if I'm feeling especially creative

Oh, for the AC condensor fan, does this turn off above a certain speed? I hear that running the fans manually with a switch when the car is moving too fast can break the fans?

In any case, no heat stroke for me!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Even if the fans were not rated for continuous operation (and I doubt they are not), fans are 4 bolts and a connector, each. An overheated/warped cylinder head is . . . more involved.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Well the car burns quite a bit of oil in the upper rev ranges but the head is fine I think. The bigger problem is the fans dont turn on no matter what I do (except sometimes when the AC is on) :unsure:

I never let it overheat bad enough to warp the head :biggrin:

Anybody else know anything about the continuous operation thing? Do the fans stay on even when the car is moving quickly?