HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Random help please!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random help please!!!!!!!!!

Random I have afew questions for you. I went out today and bought a gauge pod, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge and a chilton manual and I plan on installing them tommorrow but I need alittle help. In the manual it says that on my 99 tib the oil pressure sending unit isby the flywheel first of all I'm not that good when it comes to this so where is the flywheel the picture they show is terrible it doesn't show it being by example the radiator or battery or anything I'm lost, second what should the pressure be for my engine so when I hook it up I know it's right, third if I put the sending unit in can I connect the factory wire to it so I will still have the silly little oil light come on if there is problems (secondary warning) and so I don't screw up any of the settings that might be connected to the unit and last but not least the connector comes with two NPT (what the hell is an NPT) 1/8 and a 1/4 which one of these will fit. Thank you in advance for your help I really need it.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Jaws99:
Random I have afew questions for you. I went out today and bought a gauge pod, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge and a chilton manual and I plan on installing them tommorrow but I need alittle help..
Cool...Good luck!

In the manual it says that on my 99 tib the oil pressure sending unit is by the flywheel first of all I'm not that good when it comes to this so where is the flywheel the picture they show is terrible it doesn't show it being by example the radiator or battery or anything I'm lost,

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.a...id=12494#_12494

This is the best photo I can find for it. But that location is not right.

If I am not mistaken, that is just an "idiot" sensor. It will not work with your gauge. You will need an oil pressure sending sensor.

I found some threads at the old Fxtreme to help you out. http://www.fxtreme.org/Ultimate/NonCGI/For...TML/000319.html
http://www.fxtreme.org/Ultimate/NonCGI/For...TML/000747.html

second what should the pressure be for my engine so when I hook it up I know it's right,
Read those threads I posted, it has bretton's and bry's results (75 to 100 PSI)

third if I put the sending unit in can I connect the factory wire to it so I will still have the silly little oil light come on if there is problems (secondary warning) and so I don't screw up any of the settings that might be connected to the unit

Since you have to add a sensor, you should not hork anything up.

and last but not least the connector comes with two NPT (what the hell is an NPT) 1/8 and a 1/4 which one of these will fit. Thank you in advance for your help I really need it.

The NPT is the connector for the sensor. Since you don't have the sensor...you have nothing to connect it to!

Bry had photos posted of his install. I'm still trying to root them out.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 07-30-2001, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Here you can see it as the "tube" going vertical to the right of the engine block/head/valve cover.

Notice the T-Fitting there? That is the stock sensor. As you can see, hyundai Left something to be desired with the location...

Here is a photo without it

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 07-31-2001, 12:48 AM

how about putting your sensor above your oil filter? i've installed one there before on my truck and i believe the pressure reading was reliable.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:12 AM

Random I do have the sending unit to go in the factory hole. So if I disconnect the factory unit and do not hook the wire back up this will cause no problem with the electronics or controls of the car? Thanks for all the help smile.gif
Old 07-31-2001, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Random I do have the sending unit to go in the factory hole. So if I disconnect the factory unit and do not hook the wire back up this will cause no problem with the electronics or controls of the car? Thanks for all the help smile.gif

To keep the stock sensor you need to do a "T" fitting like bry did. One side goes to the Gauge sensor, the other to the stock sensor.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:48 AM

Does it make a difference in getting a T if my sending unit is electrical can't I just tap into the wires. Second the picture you showed me if I'm correct I found where it goes if your looking across the engine from the driver side it is to the left of the coil pack and is the first of 2 connections under the black of the valve cover and it has a big brass bolt.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Does it make a difference in getting a T if my sending unit is electrical can't I just tap into the wires.

It is just an "on/off" switch, it does not return a variable signal needed for pressure.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:34 PM

Ok last question. If I take out the factory pressure sending unit and put the new electrical one in that goes with the gauge will anything happen if I leave the factory wiring disconnected? Will the oil light come on, will my car act funny etc... and if so what can I do to prevent it eventhough I think just the oil light will come on just like running on empty the light will come on but the car will run fine until it runs out of gas. Oh and I do have one more are you sure that is where the sensor is? Reason being if you look at the front bottom of the block right side of the exhaust manifold there looks to be a sensor that looks just like the one that comes with the gauge if not what is it. Thanks again Random
Old 07-31-2001, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I did not know your gauge came with a sensor. I would try the wire splice game then.

Try the stock sender. If you do not get a pressure reading or get a wacky one. Replace the stock sender with the one that came with your gauge. Then see if that returns good PSI readings. then re-attach the stock wiring to the new sender.