HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

oil leaking out of valve cover?

Old 04-25-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leaking out of valve cover?

after installing my bbtb and BIM i notice that on one of the screws for the valve cover..it seems that there is a lil oil coming out of it? should i just tighten it up or am i possibly looking at a bigger problem?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, when you put the valve cover back on (I'm assuming you took it off), did you clean the gasket around the edge real well? Did you clean the mating surface on the head? Is the bolt on that corner loose or did you tighten it all the way?

Check those things.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You shouldn't have had to remove the valve cover to install a BTB/BIM. My guess is, you just noticed it at that time. You can try to tighten down the offending screw, however, they only take 6ft lbs of force. If it is leaking, try that, but don't over tighten it. If that doesn't work, remove the valve cover, clean it and the mating metal surfaces, apply new gasket sealant...and then tighten it down again.

That should solve any oil weeping/leaking problems.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:20 PM

the funny thing is that i never touched the valve cover..that is why it seems wierd to me..i didn't know if i should just tighten it or maybe it cracked somewhere that i can see..i mean it isn't like flowing out..just seems like a verry sloooooow leak
Old 04-25-2003, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, the gasket there IS rubber, so depending on heat and such, the gasket COULD be bad in that section.

Pull the cover (It's easy) and take a look. Just make sure you keep everything clean.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:33 PM

I used to have a leak around the valve cover. Turned out one of the seals around the camshaft assembly "settled" down about 1 mm. That caused enough of a gap to lose some oil.

Just applied more sealant and the problem was fixed.

I still burn oil, but it's nice not to just be wasting it. smile.gif

ac