HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

No Start / No fuel

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel gauge is no longer giving readings, suspect faulty installation of the fuel level sender.

To clarify: you cured your problem by ONLY using starting fluid to get the car running?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

sounds like it wasn't priming on it's own? Or was bone dry and needed a few attempts at priming? I'm NOT a fuel expert, only encountered this problem on boats and it's taken SEVERAL (100) priming attempts to fill the fuel filter before it started up.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM

QUOTE (Stocker @ Aug 19 2010, 11:25 AM)
If the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel gauge is no longer giving readings, suspect faulty installation of the fuel level sender.

I agree, I will have to pull the pump out again and make sure connection and position are correct.

QUOTE (majik @ Aug 19 2010, 01:11 PM)
sounds like it wasn't priming on it's own? Or was bone dry and needed a few attempts at priming? I'm NOT a fuel expert, only encountered this problem on boats and it's taken SEVERAL (100) priming attempts to fill the fuel filter before it started up.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, especially since I had removed the fuel line to the fuel rail. Hey, I'm just glad the thing works - no problems yet after 2 days of driving.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 AM

QUOTE (mosul210 @ Aug 19 2010, 10:39 AM)
Thanks for all the help guys.

Update: After I replaced the fuel pump the car still did not want to start. Yesterday I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and the car turned on. I've been driving it for the past day and a half with no issues. One thing though, the gas gaugue is no longer working - I'm going to pull the pump out once again and see if I placed something in incorrectly.

Update: After pulling the pump out I noticed the filter on the new pump is slightly larger and blocking the float from moving up and down. All I did was trim the edge of the new filter and now the float moves freely - issue resolved. Thanks for all the input.