HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

hood cable broken! how do i open the hood from the outside?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe
Default hood cable broken! how do i open the hood from the outside?

Hi all,

Hi all, so i needed to go have my batteries checked by the shop, lo and behold, my fricking bonnet would not pop!

looked at the latch underneath the left-side of the steering wheel (im using a left-hand drive) and everything seemed in order. nothing broken. what im unsure of is if the cable should be slack as it's a little bit loose (never paid attention to it before). i disconnected the latch and the cable and tried manually pulling on the cable to see if it would work. unfortunately, i dont think im generating enough pulling force. either that or the hood latch cable snapped.

anybody have this problem? can you open the bonnet / hood from the outside? if you have a video, that would be the best.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: hi again, sorry. i forgot to mention that it's for a 1997 hyundai coupe / tiburon smile.gif
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

hi again,

quick favor.. if someone with a gen1 could pop open their hood, take a pic of the 2 latches that hold the hood down it would be great (specially the latch that can be controlled from the inside). i plan on fiddling around tomorrow and i need reference pics to get a general idea of what i should be pushing or poking on.

thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

I have a Gen1, and if you still need the pics I can snap them for you. It's been 4 days tho...

lemme know either via reply or PM
Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I can't take pics since I don't have one, but I suggest having someone pull on the lever when you're up by the hood and you listen to see if you can hear it moving at all. If it's moving you can try a couple of things. Spray everything under there with WD-40 and try putting pressure down on the hood when someone pulls the cable. You can also pull up gently on the hood when somebody pulls the cable.