HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

NEED HELP FAST RED,random Cheuk Onpool

Old 04-12-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheuk!
I think i have found the soulution to my Problem.
First of all i contacted Alpine and they told me that the actuator is set at 9PSI.This explains why im getting 10-11psi at high RPMS.I dont have the headspacer in and this is one ofd the reasons why im creeping an extra one or two pounds of BOOST.Since im running higher compression compared to a lower compression engine this would explain an evtra POUND of Boost even if its set at 9PSI?
Alpine carries wastegates taht are set to 5 and 7PSI.Im getting the 5PSI wastegate and i cant probably squeeze an extra pound or two,so i can reach my 7PSI GOAL
I will order the actuator and wastegate on Monday smile.gif smile.gif
Also the flange on the downpipe needs to be shaved off a bit (ABOUT 4mm)just to be on the safe side in case the flapper doesnt open up fully.
I will keep you guys posted
BTW I HAVE PICS OF THE TURBO INSTALL BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST THEM
Or better yet can i will make a 3 INCH DOWNPIPE instaed of the 2 inch which comes from ALPINE!!
BTW,I have PICS OF THE TURBO INSTALL,HOW DO I POST THEM ON THE FORUM?
Old 04-12-2002, 04:07 AM

Rob, email them to me and I'll post them for you if you want.

smile.gif
Old 04-12-2002, 12:29 PM

Are they saying that the minimum setting for the wastegate/actuator is 9 psi. That could be your problem but.... didn't you say that even with the wastegate disabled open that you got 11 psi. That means that your minimum setting for the wastegate at that time was 0 psi. If you were still having problems with "boost creep" then you still need to either have that flange ground down, wastegate enlarged or external wastegate installed.

I shouldn't be telling you all this. The boys at Alpine should have thought of all this way before me. Don't get me wrong I love mouthing off on the forum wink and being a smart a**.

As an example, my RX-7 has an APEXi wastegate which has a minimum setting of 15 psi. It will not open any earlier. But when I run with it disabled wide open... I only make 3 psi.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:47 PM

I have the alpine kit, with unichip and headspacer, when I am in the street it is to 10 psi and when I am running it is 15 psi and the engine is perfect. I have the stock internals (I want to buy pistons and rods very soon). the car is very fast when I get the 15Psi.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:03 AM

Cheuk!!
The actuator arm was a little faulty and the machanic kind of fixed it and works pretty good now.The reason why i was hitting 10psi with the pin disabled is because the flapper is suppose to be FULLY OPENED and in my case the flange inside the downpipe is to big.Is blocking the flapper to fully open.So now im going withthe 5PSI actuator and wastegate and i will grind down the original downpipe or get a custom 2.5 or 3inch downpipe made.
After all this,it should rectify my problems.
I will be recieving the wastegate and atuator sometime this week.
If i do decide to get a custom downpipe made what size would you recommend?
2.5 or 3inch? Thanks
Old 04-13-2002, 08:54 PM

Go big.... 3 inch.

The loss of backpressure theory only applies NA cars.. the turbine adds all the backpressure you need.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 00 elantra

Instead of paying for all this custom work... Wouldn't a boost controller hooked up to the external WG allow you to set the boost to anything you want, within its power range of course?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:40 AM

I have decided to use my existing downpipe that has come with the Alpine kit and just shave inside the flange area where the Flapper door was hitting.This will be alot cheaper than a custom downpipe.This will do for now as i dont want to spend any more money fixing this DAM TURBO
I will getting my 5psi wastegate and sctuator this week.With the shaving of the Flange area on the downpipe and installing the 5PSI wastegate i hope this rectifyes the Problem sad.gif sad.gif frown
Old 04-15-2002, 11:58 AM

MadElantra:
Instead of paying for all this custom work... Wouldn't a boost controller hooked up to the external WG allow you to set the boost to anything you want, within its power range of course?
No,

A boost controller can only INCREASE the boost level from a set base point.. in 2UNIQ's case... the 9 psi the actuator is built for.