HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

my tib is spitting and puttering at me , Help!

Old 10-12-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my tib is spitting and puttering at me , Help!

ok, i am not sure how to explain what is wrong, but i'll try.
for the past week now the car has been Doing this.

mainly when you step on it, it goes put..put..put..vroooom...put..put
kinda like it putters, then it starts to go, then putters again, then finnaly takes off.
in prety much every gear. like the power is not there.

engine light came back on again tonight also after racing a camaro, but its not the first time the light has come on, it has come on and off now for the past year.

anyways, it doesn't happen every time, just most of the time,

I am thinking mabey Sparkplug wires or coil,
but i am not sure, i was also told, mabey the O2 sensors are bad.
but i don't want to go out and start replacing things i might not need.

any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,

smile.gif
Old 10-12-2001, 11:42 PM

It can be anything that can cause it to run like that.I had the same problem and it ended up being my Fuel pump but the possiblities are endless
Old 10-13-2001, 12:06 AM

Try simple salutions first-try putting dry gas into your gas tank or an injector cleaner into your car,there could be a possibility of water in the gas tank.Air/fuel mixture could be off-when you punch the gas it spits and sputters,check your air cleaner for any cracks,or damged air filter.One of your spark plugs could possibly be fouled(timing issue)besides what ive forementioned Id recomend taking it to a shop and having a mechanic take a look.ohh and before i forget-your catalatic converter(s) could be clogged,how many miles are on your ride?

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: jayv ]
Old 10-13-2001, 02:39 AM

well, i have the AOS CAI on it and the MBRP catback.

i just put new sparkplugs in about a month ago, so those should be good.

i have about 90,000 miles on it.

at idle it runs funny, i geuss kinda like its missing or something,
Old 10-13-2001, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

try this, at idle, remove 1 plug wire to see if idle changes, if not replace the wire and remove the next an so on. if the idle doesn't change when you remove a plug wire you'll know that cylinder isn't fireing. either its that plug, that wire, or the coil pack on the other end of the plug wire. just try this before ya send it to the shop

just remember, it is possible to buy faulty plugs and wires like champion products
Old 10-13-2001, 03:19 AM

i tried that today,
as i took each one out, it just about stall and then idle back to where it was when the plug wire was in. the i would plug the wire back on, and it stayed the same.
Old 10-14-2001, 02:06 PM

i also wanted to add, that i have really bad hesitation on take off, it putters when i first hit the gas.

i think it is a related problem,
i really could use some help, if anyone has had this problem before,

it seems to get worse as the car gets warmed up, like if i drive it for an 30 min or so.
or drive it hard.

thanks,
Old 10-14-2001, 02:42 PM

in all honesty i think it could be either the fuel pump, or the fuel pressure regulator.. i'm not an engine whiz, but if you have any non-expensive ways of checking those out, it may do the trick smile.gif
Old 10-15-2001, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Does the hesitation happen when you rev the engine and the car is not in gear? Does it happen more at low RPM or high RPM?

Have you ever replaced your Fuel Filter? You should replace it every 20 to 30K miles. You've got 90K on it...so it is very overdue if you have not done it yet.

Have you ever replace the PCV valve yet? About every 30 to 40k miles.

I would check the coilpacks. Park the car someplace dark, have the engine idling...do you see sparking/arcing between the Coilpack and the block/head? Rev the engine to about 3000 or 4000 RPM? Do you see the arcing then? Check the plug wires as well. Do you see arcing or sparking anywhere along their length? New coilpacks can be had from www.stcharlesauto.com. New plugwires too, or get aftermarket units from MHP, KORE or Shark Racing.

If not any of the above...it could be a host of other things (like fuel pump), but check these items out first, and get back to us.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:58 PM

Where abouts is the fuel filter located? I'm sure @ 28k it wouldnt hurt. And also that PVC valve? What is that and where is it? These all pepboys/autozone buy's?