HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

My car's brakes are puzzling me...

Old 03-05-2003, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default My car's brakes are puzzling me...

I drive a 1997 Hyundai Accent, manual transmission, with just under 120,000 miles.

My question is regarding the brakes: for the past 6 or 8 months or so, the brake pedal has been soft.

At about 80,000 miles, the front brakes pads were replaced, as well as both rotors and the right front caliper.

Last summer, at about 109,000 miles, the rear brake cylinders, shoes and drums were replaced.

Last fall, at about 115,000 miles, the left front caliper was replaced.
And earlier this week, the parking brake cables were replaced.

The brakes were bled after each time the system was opened (after the wheel cylinders/calipers were replaced).

When the car is running and the vacuum boost is working, the pedal is soft... average braking requires the pedal to travel MUCH farther than normal. However, the car stops reliably, and the wheels will lock up in a panic stop... also the pedal never goes to the floor.

With the engine off, a few pumps of the brake pedal and it will become hard, as per normal. However, at the top of the pedal's travel, it is still slightly soft, and the pedal will move maybe a half inch or an inch before it becomes rock hard. Once you reach that point, it doesn't move.

Under steady pressure, the pedal does not move.

My theory is that perhaps the brakes were bled improperly the last time, and there is still some air in the system, or one or both rear drum auto adjusters is stuck and is not working properly.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Like I said, the car does not feel unsafe, it's just really annoying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:16 AM

Sounds like a bleed or fluid problem. If they just bled and didn't change the brake fluid at all those services, you may need a refill.

Brake fluid absorbs water at an alarming rate, and once it's saturated (even partially), the water can boil off under pressure, which creates bubbles, which creates less force, which leads to the sensation of a soft pedal. Basically, the same problem as having air in the line from an improper brake bleed.

I've changed my fluid once, and it wasn't too bad, but it does take time, and you have to jack up each wheel one at a time (which can be a PITA).

And as usual, you have to take special care disposing of the fluid, 'cause it is nasty.

good luck,
ac
Old 03-05-2003, 09:20 AM

I would also have to say to try and bleed the brakes again. If you can put the car up on jack stands so you can get all four wheels off at once,it makes it easier to bounce back and forth between wheels. Also check to make sure the rears are adjusted enough. If the adjuster was closed all the way when the brakes were changed the auto adjuster will take for ever to get them where they need to be.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:37 AM

get a mate, preferably on the floor.
they open the valve near the wheel, you push the pedal down.
they close the valve, you let the pedal up.

do that 3 or 4 times on each wheel, and you'll feel the brakes
stiffen each time.

you gotta get the air out, it compresses much more easily than brake fluid.
make sure you have full brake fluid resovoir before starting
the bleeding process should also take care of the self adjusters
Old 03-05-2003, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Thanks for the tips guys... but there's a new development.

Now the car pulls to the left under moderately-hard braking and in panic stops... Anyone have any ideas about that?

Thanks again guys... please keep the advice coming. smile.gif rolleyes.gif
Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 PM

Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years, due to it`s affinity to (compressible) water!.
Also, your pads must be pretty worn down by now!.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:05 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Try replacing the pads on the right caliper, if not the whole caliper itself. It sounds like the left side is stronger than the right.