HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

I NEED MORE HP AND TORQUE.......HELP

Old 10-22-2001, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED MORE HP AND TORQUE.......HELP

Hey everyone smile.gif

What upgrades can/should I do to gain more HP and torque.

I want low-end torque. As soon as I find a supercharger and have the money for one I'm getting it.

I went to the tracks about a month ago and they opened it for drifting/laps. Man I got to tell ya; it was off the hook. Beats the ¼ mile any day. It takes skill and experience to do laps (well)....lol.

Anyhow, please help

Dave
Old 10-22-2001, 11:56 PM

I was just going to put on a cone until KORE got the auto-CAI ready, but what do you do with the air sensor that goes into the box currently?
Old 10-23-2001, 01:05 AM

Stuff it into the filter. smile.gif
Old 10-23-2001, 03:02 AM

I have a Weapon R Dragon filter and I just left the sensor hanging there...lol. No check eng light yet. It's been awhile since I did that.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:05 AM
Red

Corrections:

Motor Swap: Mitsu Eclipse/DSM Talon motors do NOT swap into the Tiburon chassis. The 4G63T attaches to the transmission on the OTHER side of the motor, which makes it basically impossible to swap. If you really feel you need to swap motors with something Mitsubishi, your only real option is a JDM EVO5/6 motor. These motors will bolt up to the stock Tiburon/Elantra tranny, but still require multiple chassis and wiring changes to fit.

Why swap the motor, when a set of rods and pistons make the Tiburon motor able to deal with 500+ wheel horsepower easily?

Reprogrammed ECU: Good luck, these are about $400 a pop, not including shipping from Australia or Korea, AND you must ship your entire stock ECU to them first. You're out of your car for several weeks until they send your stocker back -- and then it will be at least another week before the new one is sent. And when it is sent, it's only programmed for the mods you told them about: any new mods, and you're likely going to need it reprogrammed to take advantage of it.

Cams: Cams are fine and dandy, but you do NOT want to buy a set until you've made up your mind what you want... If you buy a set of gnarly cams for wild N/A power, chances are they will SUCK for turbocharged applications. Turbo cars and N/A cars require much different cams to make power.

Turbo setup: If you want a kit, you basically only have one option -- and not a great one at that. If you would instead have someone personally assemble your setup, you may pay a bit more BUT the outcome will be much better. You want low-end torque? Buy a small VF11 ISHI Warner or ball bearing T03 -- it will spool to full boost before you hit 3 grand, but because they're so small you'll not make full boost to redline.

In a four cylinder car, it's all about tradeoffs... If you want huge low-end torque, be prepared to scrap your top-end power. If you want crazy-ass top-end power, you're going to be scrapping the low-end torque.

-Red-
Old 10-23-2001, 03:38 AM

Since you want low end torque you should leave the cams alone. Like Red was talking about trade offs your best hope would be to stay with the stock camshaft. And deffinetly if you think about keeping it N/A, almost every after market camshaft you can ever find is set up to have more hp not torque.

You were talking about getting the SC, but now that I have seen both Random and Bradleys cars, I think that the turbo from alpine is better then the SC in every way. Since Random reachs full boost at 2500 rpm, you would never need to worry about low end torque when racing on a track or on a 1/4 mile track.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by SUAVE:
I have a Weapon R Dragon filter and I just left the sensor hanging there...lol. No check eng light yet. It's been awhile since I did that.

You won't necessarily get a CEL from this...but your car isn't reading the correct temperature of incoming air. It's thinking that the air is MUCH warmer than it really is, because it's measuring the temperature in the engine bay. Odds are your car is running on the lean side as a result.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Iago:
You won't necessarily get a CEL from this...but your car isn't reading the correct temperature of incoming air. It's thinking that the air is MUCH warmer than it really is, because it's measuring the temperature in the engine bay. Odds are your car is running on the lean side as a result.

WOW....I didn't know that. I'll put it in there tonight smile.gif

Thanks, Much Luv

Dave