HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

How To Tighten My Belts

Old 09-26-2001, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Tighten My Belts

Ok here is the deal whenever its cold out or my car is cold the car likes to squeel really really loudly and embarassingly, it does this especially when the A/C or heat is on, also when you first start it up i have like no power steering, but you can hear the belts slipping, ive also watched this while the hood was up and the car was making the noise, and while the heat is on u can kinda smell the rubber rubbing smell like when u run something over with the vaccuum, so anyways i need to know how to tighten up my belts so they dont do that anymore, and i know the powersteering thing isnt low fluid because ive been watching the level and topping it off, anybody have a clue, also on a side note how do u completly turn offf the A/C mine is never completly off its always just on even when it is @ 0 u can still kind of feel it coming out of the ventsBTW im only 17 so thats why im asking how to tighten the belts because i havnt had to do this yet on any car, but i am sure i can do it.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:42 AM

usually when the belts slip, its time to change them.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Try some belt dressing. It should be available from any auto parts stores. It conditions the rubber of the belts and stops the squeel. If they still squeel after that, then they NEED tightening.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:49 AM

Also to check to see if you need a new belt take a close look at the belt if it looks like their are crack running thew it it's bad so time for a new one. If it doesn't do the steps provided by others above. To tighten their is one bolt in front of the alternator and the the tensioner itself is on the bottom passenger side of the engine it sits right behind a little black wheel.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:02 AM

Just noticed something. As far as your air goes their are two buttons under the heater and air nobs the one to the left you will see a straight arrow and one that is curved the one with the straight arrow means you are getting air from the outside so even thow your air is is of the cold air is still getting pused in like forced induction switch it to the circle looking arrow this means it circulates the air inside the car and you will stop feeling the cold air after you shut the ac off.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Jaws99:
this means it circulates the air inside the car and you will stop feeling the cold air after you shut the ac off.

Yes...basically, but not quite. When the car is moving, having the "fresh air" setting means it is allowing new are in the car and allowing old air out. With the INSIDE air setting, it is sucking in passenger compartment air and heating it or cooling it. You car gets hotter/colder faster reusing the inside air. But your windows have a tendancy to fog up using the inside air option.