HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Help

Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent
Default Help

Hello everyone,

Just need your opinion. I went for an estimate of how much a magna flow exhaust would be. He quoted me at 212$ installed but thats just the exhaust not from the Cat-back.

I guess the bottle neck after replacing my exhaust would be the headers right?

So basically replacing the piping wouldn't make a difference since the most of the restriction comes from the headers and exhaust?

I think 212$ is a pretty good price personally.

The other thing is he said was a 3" exhaust tip would look kinda funny. I kind of agree. Since the smallest he had was 3" he said to go to canadian tire and get a 2.5" for 10$ and he'll put that on.

So I got this tip

PART # 7002
http://www.tunedproducts.com/Tuned/roundbolton.html

This all sound good?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Should be fine.

It depends on where he stops replacing pipe as to where the bottleneck will be. He should do 2.25" pipe and replace it from shortly after the flex pipe back. Just replacing the muffler will help but not as much as all new pipe. After that point getting a header will help a lot.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE(187sks @ Jun 6 2009, 10:21 PM)
Should be fine.

It depends on where he stops replacing pipe as to where the bottleneck will be. He should do 2.25" pipe and replace it from shortly after the flex pipe back. Just replacing the muffler will help but not as much as all new pipe. After that point getting a header will help a lot.

Yeah, with the stock set up being such small pipe, if you want have any type of performance boost you'll pretty much have to swap out the whole system. Having large pipe at the end of any small pipe won't do anything for you. However, if you're like me and just wanted a little more fun sound and to be able to hear the car running, then go for it. I paid about $80ish for my Flowmaster and about an hour or so of labor to weld it in, so my total bill was probably 150 or 160...I don't remember which. So, the amount you were quoted isn't too outrageous. You may want to ensure that you keep a resonator in the exhaust path as well, otherwise you'll probably develop the raspy can-of-bees sound.